Could Running Out of Fuel at Speed Cause Damage to Crank Bearings

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

So at the Yeti rally my bike developed a clunka clunka sound so i took it out of the ride and parked it in the van. The bike still runs and idles fine but any time you roll it, running or not, you can hear the clunka. I haven't split the case yet but the top end is fine so i assume it's the crank or the bearings. While thinking this over it occured to me that a few minutes prior to this happening my bike ran out of fuel while riding at about 40mph. When the bike died I didn't even come to a complete stop, I realized the problem pretty quickly and turned the petcock back on and the bike fired back up.

Could the momentary lapse of sweet, cooling fuel/oil have caused damage to my bearings?

Re: Could Running Out of Fuel at Speed Cause Damage to Crank Bearings

Probably not, even after the gas is cut off there should be a reasonable size puddle of oil left in the bottom of the crankcase to keep everything happy. It could just be old crank bearings.

i would seriously doubt it, i would assume it was something else but thats just my opinion. the clunka clunka could be a million other things. drop it if itll make you feel better and come back with an update

Probably Fred /

What engine?

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

E50

Probably Fred /

Possible chipped/missing tooth on main gear or clutch bell maybe?

no clunka while idling? not mains then

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

All right, thanks guys. It was just a theory I had thought of. Tonight after work I should finally have some time to crack into the bike.

what is it really hot that day?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account