handlebar slipping... is there some kind of tape?

My handlebars are slipping under the clamps, it's pretty annoying. I searched and read that some strips of can under the clamps will help, I guess this works?

When I got my moped, the bars were wrapped in this like cloth tape. It was adhesive on one side and cloth on the other, maybe some kind of medical tape? It help those bars on there like a pro until I flipped them and then flipped them back this last weekend and it destroyed the cloth tape.

Does anyone know what kind of tape this was? Is this common? It was great, I'd like to retape it if anyone knows what this stuff is. Otherwise, I'll just do the can thing.

Thanks!

Re: handlebar slipping... is there some kind of tape?

John Warren IhazJawas /

Take Me Home Kev /

Look for gaffers tape, or maybe the tape hockey players use for their stick handles. Google that shit brother.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Take off the bars and look for a dimple on the underside of the bars, and there should be another dimple on the upper tree. A small ball bearing goes in the dimple.

Yes, I googled it, but I'm not looking for 'normal' handlebar tape. this is something else, I have the feeling it's tape meant for something else that just happens to work. I thought it might be like some mopeder's trick, some secret use of a particular medical tape that one can't necessarily google. I even tried regular handlebar tape this morning, it slipped of course....

Maybe I wasn't clear, which is my fault. I'm not looking for just any tape. While I appreciate the reply about hockey tape or gaffers tape, and I'm sure either would work, I am looking for this tape in particular.

It really seems like an extra thick ace bandage where one side is REALLY sticky. Apparently nobody knows, but I'll keep looking and post back if I find it, because whatever this stuff is, it really should be a secret mopeders trick.

Position the bars exactly how you like and get out the 1/4 inch drill and drill through both of the caps and the bar and place a 1/4 bolt into each hole.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Ive used hockey tape before.

i had ape hangers on my harley and they kept moving. i drilled and tapped a hole and put a set screw to hold them.

you could also pit punch the saddle the handle bars sit in and tighten the fuck out of them that should. you could also file were the 2 half's meet making the hole smaller to get more clamping force. but rigging with tape is nfg.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

This stuff (aluminum foil tape) is super sticky, it's used for duct insulating/sealing.

I like the can-shim trick. One of my mopeds has aluminum can shims on both brake assemblies, the mirror, and the seat. It doesn't always work perfectly, but since it's free and takes less than ten minutes of your time, it's still worth a shot, right?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Golf club grip tape.

Are your bars or clamps worn down? Often the bars are knurled in the center. They should hold tight when clamped down properly without the need for wrapping junk around them.

just use a cut up can or some eletrical tape...

yeah... I tried duct tape, and it slipped.

My clamps are just smooth metal, I bet they work great when the bars have some ridges in them or something, I've seen some bars with grippy areas. But unfortunately my bars are also smooth, so it's smooth metal on smooth metal.

This cloth tape was amazing. I guess I'll try the cans, and then either golf tape or hockey tape.

Thanks!

SkUG SkUGosarus /

I accidently dropped one of my grips in a big container of oil (out of my landrover gearbox) and I cleaned it all up, got all the goop off and the next day my grips had expanded, so I had to buy new ones...

I once had a push bike where the brake levers would slip around all the time (tapered bars - dont ask) and In the end i got an old inner tube, cut a piece off and wedged it around the handlebars and clamped that mother down... never moved again!

Use a can. If that doesnt work use more can. Y'all silly with that fancy tape.

Salsa Salsa /

I use a strip of sand paper. Or jam a zip tie in there

dont use tape, cut shims out of a can. make sure theres no grease or oil between the clamps and bars.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account