Hobbit Speedo Replacement

Jerry Graham /

Hard to find a speedometer cable for a Hobbit, so I took a 40MPH CEV speedometer and dremeled out the Headlite bucket on the Hobbit to fit. How do I , or can I calibrate it to give a good reading. Right now it shows me going over 40mph with a Promo and no other modifications. The CEV came off a bike with 16 inch wheels.

CEV.jpg

Re: Hobbit Speedo Replacement

Jerry Graham /

Also it is holding right at 38-39 actual mph on a flat,

Emil Kniemel /

The CEV cable fits the stock speedo drive?

Jerry Graham /

Yeah Emil the Cev Cable small end fits on the wheel drive, but the large end does not fit onto the stock Hobbit speedometer head, that is why I thought I could use the CEV speedometer.

Emil Kniemel /

I imagine that the speedo is calibrated for 16" wheels. Might just have to find another speedo that is for 17" wheels.

Ubfortunately, I do not know of a way to recalibrate speedometers.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

A 16 inch wheel would make the speedo's mph even higher, not lower.

CHEAP ROUTE:

Crack open speedometer and swap out the speedo return spring. The stiffer the spring, the lower the indicated speed. Carry around a GPS to check calibration

EXPENSIVE ROUTE 1:

Buy a new sender, cable and speedo.

EXPENSIVE ROUTE 2:

Buy a digital speedometer that will be 100% more accurate than anything analog.

FREE ROUTE:

Carry around a GPS on one ride, and figure out how fast you're REALLY going when the speedo hits 10, 20, 30, and maxes. Remember this offset.

So, double check the drive ratio. I did the VDO version of this. You can get different ratios in the speedo drive. Numbers are on the drive I think. Anyway, my VDO setup was from a bike with 16" wheels and the speedo is spot on on my 17" hobbit wheels. Most stock setups I have had are a little optimistic on speed, so having the larger wheels actually made mine closer to reality. Maybe spin the plate with the numbers in the speedo so they are correct?

Jerry Graham /

Just trying to keep it simple, the wifes bike and I really dont want to ruin the riding for her. Colin I will have to check my shelfs and see if I even have a VDO set-up. Thanks for the lead.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account