77 Honda express NC50 bent rear wheel

I have a 1977 Honda express and my problem is my back rim got slightly bent because the lock pin on the axel nut between the wheel

And exhaust pipe. I came loose while riding and I didn't notice it for about 10 seconds til I felt my back end swaying a little bit. It doesn't help I have five broken spokes on the back rim but my question is could

I take some spokes off my front tire and get the back trued or shoul I just buy new ones and have the rim trued to maybe take

Out the bend? Or should I honestly try to find a rim or eBay or something,

Please any advice.

Re: 77 Honda express NC50 bent rear wheel

Jerry Graham /

Break down the rear wheel get the spokes you need true the wheel your self, not difficult.

What do you mean brake down the rear wheel? And do I need to order new spokes?

Jerry Graham /

Remove the wheel from the bike, remove the tire & tube from the wheel, Now oyu can replace any broken spokes and true the wheel , search wheel truing.

Hey, I wouldn't ride the bike at all until you replace all the broken spokes. I guess you probably realize by now that riding it with missing spokes can bend your rims. Anyway, I just recently replaced a broken spoke on my rear wheel, it was easy, although it took a little time. There are two different types/sizes of spokes on your bike, so just order a few of each. They are very cheap. I think I got mine from Bike Bandit.

Take off the exhaust and rear fender, if you have one. Remove cotter pin and the 'Jesus Nut.' Remove rear wheel from bike. Let all of the air out of the inner tube. Thread a spoke through the center hub, then put one small drop of WD40 in the spoke nipple. (Be careful not to overdo it on the WD40 because it will eat rubber, with time) Push the nipple down into the rim most of the way -- NOT all the way down. Still having the inner tube inside the tire keeps a little 'spring' under the nipple, which is good. Turn the nipple with some needle nose pliers to attach it to the spoke.

I'm not sure how badly bent your rim is. You might wanna just buy a used one from someone who is parting out a bike. Theoretically, you should be able to 'true' your own wheels as well. That, too, should be pretty basic, but will take a little time. Although, I admit that I have done it to several bicycle wheels, but not yet on my Express.

How would you get the rear wheel off if it is stuck? I took the cotter pin out and removed the nut and the rim will not com off.

WD40 ??? The rear wheel should just slide off. Mine did, even though it was sorta gunked out.

The brakes are probly really tight so back them off a little.Its supposed to be tight if you want your brakes to work.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account