ZA50 Help

Michael Goldschmidt /

I just replaced the pucks in my ZA50 transmission, but when I closed the case, the starter clutch doesn't seem to disengage. I don't think I touched the starter clutch spring, and it still seems to retract, but moving the pedals moves the engine without pulling on the starter clutch lever. Is it possible I overtorqued something?

Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it? What was the cause and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks.

Re: ZA50 Help

did you mess with the starter cable (pre-load) tension at all?

and when you say spring you mean the one on the starter clutch or the return spring from the roller plastic starter mechanism?

the latter needs to be seated in the case...it might be pushing the starter mechanism out and putting pressure on your stater clutch.

Michael Goldschmidt /

Thanks for your reply. I meant the internal starter clutch return spring, but I looked as the result of your posting and I can't see what is wrong. The starter clutch lever works fine, retracts fine, and I can hear the starter clutch spring retract inside of the transmission.

What kind of transmission gasket are you using?

Michael Goldschmidt /

I'm using the silicone one at the bottom of this page. http://www.themopedgarage.com/puch-za50-case-gasket

Go back to the stock paper one. The thickness of that gasket will throw off your shims and cause your gearing to bind. It's probably crushing and throwing off your shims - there was a thread a while ago on teflon gaskets - the consensus was that they don't maintain thickness too well. I bet if you put the old gasket back on - it's fixed.

The tolerance on the shimming is two tenths of a millimeter. Changing gaskets without checking gasket thickness is not ok.

You can re-shim your engine - but I'm guessing you don't want to buy shims and stuff, so just put it back the way it was. It's not hard to shim the transmission, you just need a selection of shims. (edited)

Michael Goldschmidt /

What do I have to lose? I'll try it. Thanks to both of you. Happy riding.

Yup! Good luck!

That could be it... but it could be something else... Post back and let us know either way!

Michael Goldschmidt /

Wilco.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account