1980 Batavus Regency various problems.

I have what I think is a Batavus regency but I don't know for sure. She pedals freely but when I opened up the cylinder head i noticed the piston doesn't move. It has a significant amount of carbon build up which would make sense on why it can't move but why can I pedal? I know nothing about mopeds and just need some advice thank guys.

Re: 1980 Batavus Regency various problems.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Easy way to know if it's a Regency or a Starflite - the Starflite has two chains, one on each side; the Regency has only one chain on the left side.

You're SUPPOSED to be able to pedal without moving the piston - that's what makes it a moped. The piston should move if you engage the starter lever (looks like a clutch lever on the left handlebar, below the brake lever) and then pedal.

Tim Eager /

Thanks Bobdobbs those links will come in handy, and now i know its a regency for sure thanks joe

Tim Eager /

The piston still does not move when i the the start lever, how does one free this piston up?

Find out if it's really stuck. Take off the left side cover and try to turn the flywheel. If you can, the piston should move, but there's a problem with the clutch engagement system. If you can't, then you have to try to free the piston by soaking it with PB Blaster, tapping it with a hammer (use a piece of wood between hammer and piston), and so on.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account