Problems with 1980 Puch Newport II

Brandon Crosthwait /

I bought the bike yesterday, and it ran fine up until when I ran it this morning. It sounds like it wants to start, but won't turn on. Also, the back tire will not roll backwards, but will roll forward. When I tried starting it just a minute ago, the engine sounded really weak and made a deeper sound than usual.

Re: Problems with 1980 Puch Newport II

Patrick Keaton /

Is there red transmission fluid level with the screw, when the screw is removed, that is on the side where the rectangle case that has the word PUCH on it.As soon as you tilt the moped with this screw removed, red type F transmission fluid should start to come out. You should not have to excessivly tilt the moped. Did you use the choke when starting it ? Your jet might be cloged. Attached is a file of a page that shows you how to test the spark. Attached also is a file of the picture of the carb to show you that part 14 is the jet. You will see this when you remove 19, the bowl.

magnumomp23.jpg
042.jpg

Brandon Crosthwait /

Alright, so I got it to turn over today, but the back tire still won't roll backwards, and only the chain on the right turns when I crank the pedals backwards (I don't know if this is a problem). Also, once I got it turned over, the engine would rev, but the tires aren't turning.

Does it have an e50 or a ZA50? You can tell by looking at the right side of the motor, if it's round then it's an e50. If it's rectangular it's a ZA50. You can also look up pictures on the wiki.

If it is a ZA, the problem can be very complex and require replacement parts. If it's an e50, it should be an easy/cheap fix.

Brandon Crosthwait /

I'm guessing I have the ZA. What would you recommend doing?

Overpriced Parts /

Uh he said Newport ll not Newport .

Newport ll gots a za50 unless changed to a e50

Maxi ll za50

Maxi MKll za50

Magnum ll za50

Magnum MKll za50

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account