Batvus help needed

I have a Regency with a M56 engine in it. The motor has been completely rebuilt, timing was set back to the factory specs, etc. The moped runs great, however, I need help with what I hope is a minor issue.

Not always, but sometimes, when I am out riding, the throttle "sticks" and I can't get the bike to idle down - it races at full throttle until the bike is turned off and I play with the throttle cable. Everything seems to be attached right, so what would cause this issue, and what can I do to fix it?

I have 2 more Regencies to rebuild, and am hoping to fix this issue before starting on the other bikes.

Thanks

Re: Batvus help needed

If it goes away when you play with the cable, and feels like the throttle is sticking, chances are that it's somewhere in your cable/housing. I'd start by taking the throttle apart, taking the cable out, lubing it, make sure it moves freely in the housing, etc.

.♠.MSG .♠. /

spray the cable with wd40

Make sure the throttle cable is routed correctly through the frame to the carb with no binding or kinks.

Take the top of the carb off and lube the throttle slide with light oil.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

"Lube"

Already lubed the cables. It doesn't seem as if it's coming from the throttle or inside the cables......almost feels like something is "grabbing" the cable. Gonna pull the top of the carb off and check the slide.

If the housing is pinched, or if one of the ends is not finished cleanly, lubing the cable won't necessarily help. (edited)

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Never use wire cutters to trim cable housing.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

if your cable adjusters are too loose the resulting slack can make the cable housing jump out of the adjuster on the carb causing it to race until it falls back in place. or your cables are frayed inside the housing. is it the encarwi or a subbed delorto?

Did you check the throttle slide in the carb? Maybe there is some kind of funky business in there?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

if its a delorto, the nub is getting snagged on the slide gate

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Good possibility.

Encarwi...did not get around to pulling the carb apart tonight

When I first got my m56, the throttle cable was too slack. The knarp inside the slide would pop out and get caught so that even when I let off the throttle, the slide would be too open. I was able to adjust mine up near the throttle enough without shortening the cable. I'd also check the choke cable as well as the little rubber boot and plastic top to the carb. Could be an issue there.

Michael Thomas /

If all else fails. switch the cable with one of the others you have to find out if it is the cable, carb or something else.

Everything so far has checked out.....only thing left to check is the choke.

Overpriced Parts /

Batavus.

Ya but on my VA the slide would stick causing the same symptoms you got

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the choke would not make it race like that, it sounds as if the throttle slide may stick sometimes at WOT. make sure the killswitch works. and tighten the cable so theres no slack. sometimes when the gas is running out, the air that gets in the line makes it to the carb and makes a air rich a/f mix and it will race. fuel restriction, hole in fueline.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account