Batavus keeps cutting off

I have a 74 Batavus VA Deluxe that keeps cutting off during my rides. These are the symtoms:

1.) I have a brand new Del 13:13 carb

2.) relatively new sparks

3.) fresh gas

4.) it idles very high. If I adjust it down it has a hard time starting.

5.) if I ride it down a steep hill and hold the clutch it will start back up

6.) when it cuts off, it takes 10- 15 min to get it started again.

7.). Sometimes it will start back up if I remove the spark and wipe it off....sometimes!

Is there something special a need to do with the carb? Does this seem like a problem with the points? Tonight was the first time a bike has left me stranded.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Batavus keeps cutting off

Patrick Keaton /

You need to work backwards and see what was the last part or parts you put on to see what caused the problem.Remove each part you last put on and put the part that was on there to begin with, and test each older part to see how it reacts. Might be carb, jet, intake,gasket, spark plug related.

Thanks. Dr. Moped. The bike wasn't running before I installed the carb. I didn't change any jets in it. I put it on fresh out of the package. I didn't change any gaskets because the carb was able to fit directly on to the intake.

Thx.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the jet is probly too high right out of the box.

the delorto is different from the stock encarwi you have to adjust the idle till it doesnt engage the clutch at idle. the jet is a 48-50 range. check for airleaks.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

also get a new condensor to take that out of the equation.

Overpriced Parts /

ya search jetting on wiki

How do I find the size of my jet? What is the default size?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

its on the jet itself, engraved. the stock is an encarwi bing 43 jet with the float set at 11.5mm to tip. my va had a delorto with a 48 in it.

Seth Cameron /

I only have free time on sundays to work on peds but if you can get it to raleigh we can work on it. Im no genius but I know my way around mopeds enough to give you hand.

30mph Batavus VAs are lovely bikes IMO

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Stock jet on a 30mph Batavus is a #56 to #58 bing jet

Replace the points & condenser and TIME it before you do any jetting.

The jet that came with the carb was a 66! I was running a 66. Does this explain the symptoms?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account