I broke the exhaust bolt that connects to the head: e50

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

So, I feel like I'm posting for help a ton--but bear with me here.

Today I was tightening up the nut that connects the exhaust to the head (I think) and broke off one of the bolts by over-tightening (lesson learned). I'm assuming that I can just undo the 4 bolts on the head and slide it off and then the bolts will be exposed for the exhaust, swap the broken one out and then slide the head back on, right? I guess I'm just worried that there might be more to it and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know before I do it. I read that the size of the bolt is m6x1, is that correct as well? And it should be a brass bolt, right?

Like always, thanks in advance.

Re: I broke the exhaust bolt that connects to the head: e50

Patrick Keaton /

The exhaust connects to the CYLINDER.The exhaust bolts do not go all the way through. Leave it together, and see what you can do with it the way it is. If you take it apart, you might crack a piston ring or two when you put it back together. The STUD bolt for the HI TORQUE - CYLINDER is [m6 x 18] and is made of steal. You need to find out if there is any of it left to grab, if not you will have to center punch it and drill it out. Easy out is an opthion. I never had an easy out work for me. Sear has a tool like an easy out, but they claim it is better, so see if that tool may help you.If you tap it, you will want to use a bottom tap.

Probably Fred /

Just post for another cylinder on buy sell

use or post the # on your cylinder to get a matching one

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

I'm gonna try to get this thing out first.

I read a bunch about this after I posted it and learned that the stud doesn't go all the way through and also learned that it's a stud and NOT a bolt. I tried to grab it with pliers, but like usual, it broke off flush so that didn't do anything. I'm going to try to get a backout or something from home depot to see if that works. Here's to trying.

I would pull the cylinder (four nuts on the head, two on the intake and the one remaining on the exhaust)

Slide the cylinder off so that you can see what you're doing. Buy a small left handed drill and try drilling in the center. Sometimes that works to turn a broken stud out. Use a drill press if you have one. Try an easy out. If that doesn't work, heat the metal around it with a torch and touch it with a crayon to melt some wax into the threads. That helps things lube up a little. Try the easy out again.

If all else fails, drill the rest of the stud out and retap the hole for a new stud.

Before you reassemble, go buy a torque wrench. It might seem a little pointless to spend so much money on a tool that you don't absolutely need, but it'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Patrick Keaton /

Use a 1/4 inch rachet where you are limited to the amount of torque because they are so small. You can not get enough leverage to have this take place. (edited)

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

If all else fails, drill the rest of the stud out and retap the hole for a new stud.

Drill and retap. Use a bolt instead of a stud, unless you can find the right size stud.

Also fuck torque wrenches, never needed one never will. Just choke up on the wrench and tighten has hard as you can choked up all the way on the wrench.

Probably Fred /

I guess you will never have a za50 bike funkadelic man. Torque wrench needed for them

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I have one, it never get used though.

Michael Thomas /

Jeremy...you are killing me!

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

I know, I know. This is the only thing I've done so far that is just plain stupid--all the other stuff was me just being a n00b. Learning the hard way...

torque rule from Linda- tighten till it strips , then back off 1/4 turn

Wouldntyou Wannaknow /

Stock on E50 Magnum XK's is a bolt, right? The stud isn't flush, so there's a little nubbin hanging out--how would you all go about removing that? I tried pliers and the stud didn't turn at all.

Also, I know the studs are m6, but what is the length on them?

Patrick Keaton /

On the Magnum XK and the MKII is a FIXING STUD bolt to the left and to the right of the exhaust hole.The length is 16 for a Magnum and 18 for a HI TORQUE - CYLINDER.

Probably Fred /

lock with vice grips

Michael Thomas /

If you can get vice grips on it, use heat on the stud, may get it to back out.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account