70cc Kstar

Hi flow metal air filter

14mm bing/intake

70cc hi comp head

Tecno circuit exhaust

Compression: 150psi with throttle wide open

Fresh tank of gas (this morning) 40:1 mix

2 new spark plugs (NGK B7HS)

Cleaned carb twice. Fuel making it to the bowl. Spark plug is wet.

I've tried a 72 jet, 78, and 68. I turn the motor over and it just doesn't start. Clutch is engaging and all that. Doesn't putter, 4 stroke or do anything. Just makes the starting noise without catching. Timing was reset. Point gap set a TDC, and 17 degrees BTDC firing. I checked for spark and got a nice fat bright blue spark. I got it started for about 4 or 5 seconds when i started with throttle close to wide open. Revved up, spit a bunch of fuel out the exhaust and when i let off the throttle it shut down. Haven't been able to get it to catch since.

Could I have flooded the engine and there's too much fuel? Is that why it spit some out the exhaust?

I cleaned the gas tank rust with vinegar last week. 72 hours soak, flushing every day. When I was done, I ran through water and baking soda mix. Then a few gallons of water, then a gallon of gas. Put fresh gas in this morning. What obvious thing am I missing?? Did i not clean the tank correctly and its effecting the gas? Any help would be much appreciated. (edited)

Re: Help me get this e50 to start! Running out of ideas

Have you checked the exhaust port on the cylinder too?

Just put a new gasket on it before I went out and bought a compression guage. The exhaust and kit is brand new (less than 20 miles on it). I widened the exhaust port a tad, but did not advance it or anything (not an expert with port timing and didn't want to mess up my first kit) .Where/what should i be checking? Thanks!

Probably Fred /

Use choke

I've tried choke on, off, part throttle, and full throttle. None seem to make any different. Unfortunately, I can't really hear a different either....

So I loosened the exhaust bolts, and dropped the exhaust down to a hang, so it was running pretty much with no exhaust. It started up easier, and then on the second start, it was keeping a nice high idle, and I actually had to shut it down with killswitch.

I tightened the exhaust back up, and it started easier, but only with a pretty high throttle, and as soon as I let off, it died. Can't keep an idle at all. SO its definitely something to do with the exhaust. I replaced the gasket with a a new one with a bigger hole since the old one was overlapping the exhaust port on the cylinder slightly. The exhaust is brand new. I reached my finger in the exhaust , and my finger was barely dirty. I doubt it has clogged up. Is it possible for one to clog up that fast down the exhaust? Can the exhaust not match up with the cylinder well? How can I check or correct this?

I loosened the exhaust and couldn't get it to start again. Still working on it now, but please feel free to point out anything I should look at. Yes, the petcock is turned on and no air in the fuel line :)

Stupid question, but having the exhaust off INCREASES the air flow correct? I know its not good to run without an exhaust, but currently i can only get it to idle with the exhaust off. It is four stroking at idle with a 72 jet, again, with the exhaust off. So I should down jet, correct? I'm guessing that with the exhaust on, the amount of air flow will decrease so I am very rich at the moment if I'm four stroking pretty frequently with exhaust off at idle. Sorry to spell it out like that, just trying to learn as much as possible as i go.

Hey Aaron did you find a solution to this? I think I'm having a similar problem and I'm stumped :/

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account