79 mbk 50v..im about to give up!

Tom Mcintosh /

hey!

so i have a 79 mbk 50v, all stock as a rock right now, aside the delorto 15.15. ive been riding it for weeks, never had a single issue, until the other am. i had rode it all night the day prior, but it wouldnt even kick over the next am. i cleaned the carb and changed the plug, checked for spark, checked timing, cleaned the points.....everything seems perfect. i even dumped all the fuel and added fresh gas, and pulled the head off to make sure the gasket was still in one piece. i have a new coil and plug wire on its was from treatland right now, i should see it tomorrow, i cant think of anything else to check? anyone have any ideas?? any good input is well appreciated!!

- tom

Re: 79 mbk 50v..im about to give up!

Patrick Keaton /

My Demm Smiley did the same thing long ago. I think at least one seal went bed, but at least one rim rusted away before it got looked into. (edited)

Check if the spark is bright blue.

Clean the exhause.

Do a leak down test.

Tom Mcintosh /

Spark is bright, exaughst is clean, how should I go about doing the leak down test?!

Jam a tight fitting hose into the spark plug hole, remove the carb and block the intake, remove the exhause and block the exhause, put the piston to bottom dead center and use lung power or a suction gun to create a vacuum and see if the motor can contain a vacuum. If no you need to look for the vacuum leak.

Tom Mcintosh /

Ok I'll try that this week, thank you very much!

check for flooded crank case, fuel spitting out of exhaust when peddling. some times the float valve sticks and floods overnight if you leave the gas on or have a leaky petcock.

Tom Mcintosh /

Will do!! Thanks! I'm hoping to have a few min today or Tomorow to dig into it again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account