Won't start when hot

wick hardenbergh /

So, my moped will start when she's cold after a few seconds of the usual spluttering, and if I turn it off shortly after having started it, it usually will start back up.

HOWEVER,

after riding for an extended period of time say, 10 or 15 minutes, if I turn her off, she won't start again for about another hour, once she's cooled off again. When I try to start it hot, I engage the starting clutch but get absolutely nothing.

has anyone experienced anything similar?

Any suggestions?

thanks

Re: Won't start when hot

im dealing with the same thing on a 62 av48 mobylette, everyone on here is going to say its the condenser even tho i already replaced mine im hearing new ones are often fault and if you replace it you should mount an external one

When she is cold check if the spark is bright blue and snappy or dim and feeble. Same when she is hot. By bright blue I mean bright enough that in just the shadow of the bike you can see the spark, if you need total darkness it is weak.

Usual cause of that is a weak condenser and carboned or oil tainted points. Change the condenser for an external one, Standard DR80 for a mid-60s Delco ignition works excellent. Always disconnect the old one.

After changine clean the points with a points file (or metal finger nail file) and rinse woth alcohol (or brake cleaner). Do not use sandpaper (can leave imbedded grit which will screw your gap) and carb cleaner (leaves behine a lubricant which will carbon).

Set the gap at index (where the points are widest open) and then adjust for initiation so the points are just starting to open at the ignition timing point.

wick hardenbergh /

thank you both very much, it looks like i have an afternoon of work cut out for me.

Appreciate it!

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

I have said it before but it bears repeating. God bless you, Rebel Moby, and your little French Canadian heart.

Probably Fred /

Hold throttle open or open it as your starting your moped cause when hot it takes a different way to start it. Many carbureted engines are different when hot

I have found that certain spark plugs can cause issues like this, specifically if you always reuse a plug after fouling.

-Aron

Thought I'd just throw my two cents in here, since I'm bored (waiting for parts, two weeks from everywhere). How are your rings? Theoretically, if your rings are worn, when the motor gets hot and the cylinder expands, the rings are thinner than they used to be and can't fill that gap like they need to. Then you lose compression until the motor cools off. Food for thought. Chow down.

Take Me Home Kev /

Test your condenser dude.

I had a bad spark plug do that to me for 2 years before I figured out it was finally the plug. My gap was too wide too.

It could be condensor or main seals too.

also a bad plug wire will arc when hot

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

Rebel Moby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Change the

> condenser for an external one, Standard DR80 for a

> mid-60s Delco ignition works excellent. Always

> disconnect the old one.

Can anyone walk me through this ? Pics ? Where/how do I mount the external condenser ? When removing the old one what to i do with the loose end wires if not replacing with the now external coil ?

look in wiki tells how and what to do

wick hardenbergh /

well, i finally figured it out, and am sort of kicking myself... turns out the cable on the starting clutch wasn't QUITE tight enough, so it wasn't fully engaging when hot, but for some reason it WOULD engage when it was cool... I adjusted the tensioner... lo and behold she STARTS!

thank you allll for your input :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account