Garelli 2spd problems: stuck in second gear/starter clutch stuck.

I am helping my buddy figure out his VIP 2 speed and we can't get it to disengage the clutch entirely and first gear doesn't work. It stays on second and runs well once it gets up to speed. Does 35 pretty easily bone stock. Anybody know some good basic shit to check on one of these? We have two extra sets of little rubber nibs so once we figure out why it's stuck in 2nd we can get everything back to running stock awesomeness. We have looked at the manual and everything is assembled correctly as per the diagram.

Re: Garelli 2spd problems: stuck in second gear/starter clutch stuck.

Bump. Anybody?

Do the 2 main gears spin independently? There is a freewheel that they ride on that allows them to spin separately. Maybe its locked up.

Thanks. I'll check that next. These bikes are kind of a pain, but I really want to see how it runs once we have it all back to stock order. I know it has a decent top speed. Can't wait to get first gear working.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

The larger rubber pieces are probably swollen.

Replace all the rubber in there and check/replace the cork surfaces too, while you're in there.

Edit: Make sure the oil in the trans is non-detergent only. Mine was all full of emulsified oil/water mix.

Edit II: Search the repair forum for threads about this very challenge, there's some good info and pix. (edited)

Cosmo clutch 004.JPG
Cosmo clutch 006.JPG
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account