Getting a 1971 vespa ciao to work.

daniel cox III /

Hi my name is Daniel and I just bought a 71 vespa ciao. The people I bought it from said it was shipped from italy and it had 1 previous owner. The speedometer on the headlight says almost 400 miles. They said all it needs is a new inner tube (obvious) and a spark plug. They also said it would run but hasn't in a awhile. So I tried starting it and it did but wouldn't hold a idle. Now I know nothing about mopeds, but I bought it for $200. I don't know if it was a good deal or not but it is what it is. It is clear it has been wreaked but no major damage from what I see. The headlight cord has been cut and someone wrapped electrical taped around it. The plastic side cover on the right side has been damaged and someone tried to fix it. And a dent on the headlight. That's pretty much it. I'm not worried about the plastic piece or the cord, I just want to get it driving. Any help would be much appreciated.

I will post some pictures so y'all can see.

Re: Getting a 1971 vespa ciao to work.

Emilio Gonzales /

Good news it starts. First get a spark (NGK (7534) B6HS Standard Spark Plug) amazon has them for 3 bucks. Hopefully you drained the gas tank and put in fresh gas, if not you need to do that. Take carb out, clean it, check the jet to make sure its not clogged.Then try to adjust idle. Try to get an air filter of possible. Also a gas filter. Just giving you a general idea on what to the, the wiki and other resources are available which actually show you how to do it, but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

daniel cox III /

Thanks man, I'll get right on that. Are there any places that sell the plastic pieces, handle bar grips, electrical wires, ect?

If the idle still isn't working try gapping the points. It should be 0.45mm or so.

If that doesn't work you probably have an air leak, maybe even a bad crank seal. Spray some carb cleaner on all the joints between the parts of the engine. If the engine speed changes you have a leak at that spot. If you're getting lots of gunk in the ignition behind the flywheel, then the crank seal is probably bad.

Emilio Gonzales /

www.treatland.tv has an assortment of parts. Ebay has some but most of the time you have to pay an arm and a leg. If you dont need the cosmetic parts in a hurry i say just be patient and browse the for sale forums here, after searching for months i got 4 turn signals, a foot rest and reflectors for 15 bucks.

daniel cox III /

sorry for the wait.. but here are some pictures of it.

DSC009012.jpg
DSC009002.jpg
DSC009042.jpg

daniel cox III /

and here is the body damage. not bad but noticeable. and no im not really worried about it except for the cut cord. that's something i will to get hopefully soon.

DSC009022.jpg
DSC009052.jpg
DSC009072.jpg

Emilio Gonzales /

Id be worried about the cut cord if this were the model with the turn signals and battery which this does not appear to have. When coming to buying parts even though its an early model they still share the same parts as older model, even some of the parts of the vespa bravo and grande. Try to get your hands on the Haynes Service Manual for the Ciao.

daniel cox III /

It does have a battery but it's not hooked to anything. No turn signals are on the bike, which I got lucky because I'm in Michigan. You don't need a title, insurance or blinkers to ride the road.

daniel cox III /

Got the bike to idle. Now I just need a inner tube.

daniel cox III /

There is a hole in my tire. Not a big one at all, but I'm wondering should I plug it or buy a new tire? I want to keep my original tires in the current condition. Ya know?

fallout Survivor /

I am going to guess you have checkered rotting tires. If so replace (risk blowing out with a bang.).

daniel cox III /

They don't seem rotted.

fallout Survivor /

Where on the tire is the hole?

fallout Survivor /

If the diameter of the hole is not to big a plug should be ok on these slow going vehicles. They plug motorcycle tires..good up to 60 or 70 mph.

daniel cox III /

In the middle. What if I don't plug it? The whole is not big at all. It's more like a small gash. Would it be okay just to ride it as is?

daniel cox III /

i put a new inner tube in it, and it rides fine but is leaking a little gas and the speedometer or headlight work. where can i buy a bulb?

daniel cox III /

now it rides for like 5 min. and then stalls out. it takes a long time to get it running again. whats a guy to do?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

buy a condenser and replace the old one....

i was just going to answer the topic header with "load it onto a pick up truck and drive it there duh...".

daniel cox III /

nice.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account