1977 Cimatti City Bike won't spark

What's up MOPEDarmy society? My name is Brian, and I am glad to finally be a member.

I bought a 1977 cimatti city bike 7 months ago. It has ran great up until today. I wanted to fix up the tail light and headlight, so i was fartin' around with it and i took out the stop light on the rear, and then reinserted it and started the bike up. The light burnt out within 15 seconds of running. So i just figured it was a halogen bulb since i bare-handed it and i ordered a new one. The headlight hasn't worked since the previous owner, so i took off and severed the wires to connect them to a new headlight, however, when i tried starting it again, i couldn't get any spark. I checked the continuity between the wires of the ignition system up to the kill switch and with the wires of both coils and they were fine. I have not checked the points yet, but i didn't even touch those, so i figured they would be fine, since they look immaculate. I was wondering if it could be a problem with the tail light not completing the circuit, or that the tail light burning out could have been wires shorting out around the magneto or something. I tried touching the spark plug to the side of the engine, but i can see no spark. The moped was working fine the day before, and this morning. However, i also tightened the idle switch a little, which could have flooded the engine, but would flooding prevent the spark plug from sparking? I was wondering what you guys are thinking the problem could be? Any help would be great, thank you.

Re: 1977 Cimatti City Bike won't spark

It's the tail light. I have a City Bike that when the bulb would fudge out, it wouldn't spark. Replace them lights/bulbs already!!!

Thank you very much. I will try that.

Have a 1977 cimatti city bike. How do I wire the run stop switch. Only one wire coming from the coil to switch. there are 3 terminals on switch. which one do I connect it to. Thanks

Stock V1 wiring has a "safety" feature that prevents spark when either bulb is burnt out.

Glad to see some discussion on this topic on these old mopeds. Sweet site!!

I just picked up a Cimatti with same issue, no spark even when I attach coil directly from stator, I’ve just bypassed the whole harness since it’s missing I think some sort of light on top of headlight/speedo housing (blue wire), tail light (blue, grey, orange wires) and I think must have had a keyed ignition that got removed (yellow, grey, black wires) so I’m not sure how those should be wired and just bypassing for now seemed more prudent to get spark.

But even when I connect the the stator (blue ground, red hot) direct to coil, I get no spark. I’ve tried a couple different known working coils and plugs, no change. When I put my multimeter on it, the numbers jump around a lot, so I’m not sure it’s putting out enough juice to even get the coil to work.

I’m a little concerned there’s something wrong with the condenser or maybe somehow one of the windings in the stator are grounded somehow, any suggestions how to test it?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Make sure the tail/brake light bulb(s) is not blown or it will not spark. Also, there is a toggle switch on the side of the headlight bucket. Flip the switch and recheck spark. That switch is there in the event you blow a brake light bulb. When flipped, it will allow the bike to run without replacing the bulb. There is no keyed ignition. The wires you found go to the toggle switch. (edited)

ya gotta service the points/cam. does it have little windows? do you have steady hands that shirink? if not get appropriate puller and whatever elese u might need.

Richard Eberline /

All components of the brake light wiring. Stop switches, wiring and tail light wiring. The ignition is looking for that ground. disconnect the blue wire at the wiring block, find a good ground and ground the blue stator wire. ground must be bare, no paint or rust.

note the wires can be cut or worn thru.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account