Silly clutch question

Martin Agronski /

Hi all,

Have finally managed to pull my e50 clutch apart (moped sitting for 30+ years with no trans fluid in it - it was so much *fun* getting the clutch-puller tight enough) and I see that the idiot before me had run the shoes until they disintegrated - see photo #1.

I bought some replacement arms, but they are for the three-shoe version and the stop-pins that prevent the arms flying out further and touching the bell don't quite reach into the cutouts on the clutch-plate.

So my idiot question is: which is better to modify, the clutch plate, or the arms? If I punch out the arm pins, won't that mean if my pads run low again I could scrape the metal against the clutch bell? How dangerous is it to enlarge the limit-stop holes in the clutch plate? (see other photo)

Thanks,

E.

Clutch_shoe_cracked.jpg
clutch_mod.jpg

Re: Silly clutch question

Salsa Salsa /

No danger.

I had a clutch that I punched out those things and ripped off the pads. It was metal on metal! It was the sweetest clutch. It would slip till 9,000 rpm and than grab and throw you back.

Do it up man!

un(BEAU)leivable Tobin /

Maize that is gnarly as hell.

Silly *piston* question

Martin Agronski /

Have dismantled my top-end, bottom end and have got the case apart - running a #3 Puch Maxi Alu-series cylinder/piston, post-seize.

Cylinder wall looks shiny, clean, smooth - no obvious gouges/streaks....piston looks smooth and clean....but doesn't fit properly in the cylinder. Gets about halfway down then snags. Clearance is about 0.04mm but I think the problem is the piston skirt is too wide, since putting the piston in from the top, crown first, is okay until the piston skirt gets into the cylinder.

Any cure for this, or is it new piston/cylinder time?

DownTheCylinder.jpg

Salsa Salsa /

that clutch is fucked!

Matthew Verdes /

Yeah man, I have the same question 8 years later. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate the help. Or is it better to put new pad material on the old shoe. Saw someone do that on YouTube, but his shirt fell apart, weak adhesive... is there an adhesive that does work? I don't need to be popping wheelies but don't want people flying past me when the light turns green... that can get pretty sketchy.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Dibbs re-friction materialed his KS 2-shoe with great results. Material prep and shaping were vital.

Can't remember what he used for friction material, but it almost dropped into the stock puch clutch arms.

Overpriced Parts /

> Matthew Verdes Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah man, I have the same question 8 years later. If anyone knows I'd

> really appreciate the help. Or is it better to put new pad material on

> the old shoe. Saw someone do that on YouTube, but his shirt fell apart,

> weak adhesive... is there an adhesive that does work? I don't need to be

> popping wheelies but don't want people flying past me when the light

> turns green... that can get pretty sketchy.

Just make a “want to buy puch clutch” post on buy+sell for a new used stock clutch

yea i'd just replace it, way easier and not expensive, people have spares from upgrading to the high performance options so post in buysell

use a sharpie pen on your piston to see where its rubbing and take a grinder to it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account