za50 to e50 swap wiring woes

6 wires on the za50 and only 4 on the e50. help me please.

Re: za50 to e50 swap wiring woes

Maybe you could remove one of the skinny coils if you dont need it.

Groove Champion /

is it a regular points ignition? what colors do you have coming out of the e50? There's a few things you can do here, but just let us know the details. The more information you post, the better.

Tom Davidson /

the 6 from the za50 are blue/black, blue, green/black, green, yellow, gray. the 4 from the e50 are green/red, yellow/red, blue, gray.

Ultimately I would like to only run headlight always on, killswitch, and brake light. I have a separate light on a battery I use for an always on taillight.

Sorry if this is trivial stuff, but nothing matched the diagrams in the wiki and the electrical side of things is not my forte.

blue/black = horn (or just ground it)

blue = high tension coil

green/black = ground

green = motor -> brake switch -> brake light

yellow = headlight (always on)

gray = tail light (always on)

This is in the wiki.

Oh sorry, you are installing the E50 wires. Is it CDI?

Tom Davidson /

Nah both engines are points.

The match ups you just gave me should help though, I can just keep swapping the e50 wires around to the blue and green/blk that are left on the ped and the engine should run with just the coil and ground hooked up right?

Groove Champion /

did you get the e50 from a korado? I'd sorta like to see the coils on this thing. Its not that i dont believe you, it just doesnt seem to line up with any native e50 ive ever seen. maybe someone else replaced something?

Probably Fred /

Swap stators use a 6 wire stator

did you get the e50 from a korado? I'd sorta like to see the coils on this thing. Its not that i dont believe you, it just doesnt seem to line up with any native e50 ive ever seen. maybe someone else replaced something?

That's what I'm thinking. The Korado does actually have yellow and red wires, but the diagrams I have (in the wiki, "Puch wiring diagrams") don't show a red/green or a red/yellow. Either way, the wires you listed definitely don't line up with any normal E50 I've seen/heard of before.

Still though, unless Puch completely changed up wire colors, the blue should still be for ignition, and I'd think grey would be for the tail light. The others are probably for some combination of headlight, horn, and brake lights. If all you want is a headlight, brake lights, and a kill switch, I'd try hooking that blue up to the ignition (kill switch wire gets run from there), then trying the other three one at a time for the headlight. I would think all of the other wires would work for the headlight, but one might provide more power/more light. After you get one set up as the headlight, then repeat the same thing for the brake light, then ground whichever wire is left.

And if none of that works, then I'm out of ideas.

Tom Davidson /

It must be mismatched parts, I bought it from some random guy last summer. The blue to ignition and then trial and error on the rest is my plan for this evening. Thanks for the help everyone.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account