Sorry to revive the thread, just so anyone searching later can know what I did to fix it:
Turns out that I had some big headgasket leaks and some minor basegasket leaks. I replaced the headgasket, basegasket, and intake gaskets all with 'thick' gaskets from treats (I'm after reliable transportation, not a race machine) and now I have 110psi with the stock a35 head and no leaks anywhere that I can find.
I also replaced the reed block because I decided to go all out, I do think that was some of the problem, because now the carb is not backfiring gas out of itself and I can only feel air being sucked in, none pushed out.
It now pulls hard through the low rpms and is a rocket at high rpms. (edited)