Inside gas tank has a little rust.

I have a pinto 2 and the gas tank has a little bit of rust in it. Is there any way to clean it out or is there a place where I could purchase another pinto tank.

Thanks,

morgan

Re: Inside gas tank has a little rust.

LUCKILY THE PINTO TANKS ARE REMOVEABLE WHICH MAKES IT EASY TO TREAT.

A PRODUCT CALLED KREME EXISTS BUT ISN'T GOOD WITH ETHANOL GAS. THE BETTER OPTION IS CALLED POR-15 AND IS EASY TO TREAT.

CHEAPER OPTIONS ARE ACID LIKE MURIATIC ACID CAN LOOSEN IT UP, OR ELECTROLYSIS (GOOGLE IT) EVEN VINEGAR CAN HELP. FOLLOW UP WITH A RINSE AND SHAKE AROUND WITH SOME SAND AND/OR NUTS AND BOLTS TO LOOSEN IT ALL AND RUN A FEW TANKS OF WATER THROUGH TO WASH EVERYTHING OUT AND THEN DRY IT.

OR WHAT I USUALLY DO IS JUST SAY TO HELL WITH IT, SHAKE OUT THE BIG SHIT AND RUN A FUEL FILTER. IT'S NOT A PROBLEM MOST OF THE TIME AND "A LITTLE RUST" IS A DAMN GOOD TANK BY MY STANDARDS. 77 MAY HAVE NEW TANKS OR YOU CAN USE ANY TANK REALLY IF YOU WANT TO PURSUE REPLACEMENT.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank#Vinegar

5-day vinegar trick. Otherwise, that page has a number of other options for you to pick from.

clean it out, then seal it.

don't use kreme.

por15 or caswell (I always use).

will never rust again.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account