puch clutch not engaging

I figure some extra info could possibly help me get an answer or atleast a nudge in the right direction.

I have a '77 puch newport. I believe I'm having a problem getting the clutch to engage. I replaced the clutch cable and I can see it pulling on the little arm on top of the clutch cover. When I peddle and pull the clutch, it does nothing.

A friend suggested making sure the woodruff key was in place, it is. I ended up digging pretty deep just to see how this thing works and I have a pretty good inderstanding. However, I can't figure out where the problem is.

I noticed oil in the clutch casing and assumed that's normal considering that's pretty much where the oil is filled. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: puch clutch not engaging

Has it ever worked before, or did you just get it and it does this? When you pull on the lever to engage the clutch, is there a lot of resistance, or can the lever be pulled almost all the way to the handlebar before you get much/any resistance? Also, this is dumb, but I've forgotten it before -- are both your chains on?

Check simple things, both chains is a good one.

Make sure that the clutch cable isn't binding when you pull the lever, and that it is adjusted correctly.

The actuator arm needs to be set a certain way (you can find that in the puch manual in the wiki). This is to make sure the when you pull the cable in it will put the correct amount of force on the plate.

You said the woodruff key is in place on the clutch. Make sure it isn't sheared. Also make sure the nut is torqued down correctly so the clutch doesn't slip on the crank's axle.

Joshua Wood /

I was riding it when it stopped working. its been running beautifuly. both chains are on and new. I can pull the clutch lever about half way in before its fullyresistant. I guess I should mention I tightened the clutch springs about a month ago. Not all the way down. Just about half way. It ran great after that until the other day.

Joshua Wood /

Thanks, Sneaky Pure.

The woordruff key is clear of blemishes. Looks brand new.

The clutch sits on the axle tightly. I cant move it with my fingers alone and I have to use a puller to get it off.

Ill check the actuator arm but I assume it is set the same as before.

As far as the nut, is this the nut under the clutch cover

under the plate? If so, I just had it as tight as I could go by hand.

Joshua Wood /

Is it possible that the woodruff key on the other side of the crank shaft may be broken or have fallen out? Would that cause the same issues?

Ok.

Walk your bike.

Pull in the clutch lever.

Does your tire skid?

If so then the actuator arm should be connecting correctly because you are getting enough force to make the clutch plate connect with the clutch.

Did you trouble shoot other issues (if / since you can't get it started).

Is your "on" switch in the on position.

The woodruff key on the other side of the crank should be the one that holds your flywheel in place.

Yes you can break those if you don't tighten the flywheel nut down with enough force.

The flywheel will spin and shear the key in half.

Check to make sure that this didn't happen.

Joshua Wood /

You guys are awesome. Thnks for all of your help. Turns out the clutch bell separted from the bell gear.

As far as the nut, is this the nut under the clutch cover

under the plate? If so, I just had it as tight as I could go by hand.

I guess you figured out what was causing it, but when you go to put it back together again, that nut needs to be A LOT tighter than just hand-tight. You need a piston stop to keep the crank from turning while you torque the nut back on, and then the nut itself needs to be TIGHT. You torquing that nut back down is what holds the clutch on the crankshaft. If you don't do that, it'll continue to cause problems for you.

Joshua Wood /

I was wondering about that. Thank you. I really apprecite all of your help.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account