How to remove oil injection from ZA50?

I still have a big hunk of stuff attached to the oil hump on my ZA50. I want to take it off and grind down the hump to install a reed kit.

Will I have to fill any holes in or something after I remove it?

Re: How to remove oil injection from ZA50?

Take a look at the puch 2-speed diagram to see all the parts that go into the injector system.

There is a shaft connected to the oil pump that is turned by a gear on the crank. If you remove this shaft you will have a major air leak as the shaft sits between the crank bearing and the seal.

To properly remove the oil system you need to split the cases. Then you can fill the void that the shaft normally fills with epoxy.

You should be able to grind down enough of the hump to get clearance for your carb. If you blow through into the magneto area no big deal.

awesome thanks man

Overpriced Parts /

Yes you can remove the shaft and not have a air leak if you put the plastic tube with O rings on it back in. The shaft rides in a plastic tube that has O rings on it. Take the oil pump off , thread a fastener in the shaft hole grip with pliers and pull the the shaft and tube out together. put the tube back in all the way back in the way it comes out you can fill the tube with sealant if you want first before you reinstall the tube. make a plate or cover for the case to keep dirt out. I've done this a dozen times with no air leak I don't know what chris paz is talking about

Whats the best way to fully and safely disable the oil injection without splitting the cases? I have read every single thread that I could find by search and I know the basics and have already taken off the oil injection unit. People say you can pull it out but is that only by splitting the cases? Thanks for any info.

Well if you pull off the pump and put a block off plate back in it's place its essentially blocked off.

To remove everything related to the oil injection system you need to remove the magneto side case.

And if I put a block off plate and its fully sealed then its fine that it leaving the oil gear in there? Thanks for the quick response, I know you are the ZA guru!

Overpriced Parts /

Take the shaft out but put the tube back in if you leave the shaft in it will rattle around loose then seize or wear a hole in the tube then you will have a air leak not good

How do you take the shaft out? It seems pretty in there and I want to know details on how to do it because I dont want to just crank on something that is attached to the main gear.

Don't just take the shaft out. Again there will be a huge hole for air to leak into the crankcase.

There are 4 pieces to the oil injection system. The oil pump it's self, a little plastic tube with 2 o rings on it, the drive shaft that turns the oil pump, and there is a brass gear on the crank that turns the shaft.

To remove the shaft and plastic piece you can thread an M5 bolt into the end of the shaft (m5 bolts hold the oil pump in place). Use a pair of pliers to yank the shaft out, the plastic tube will come out with it.

Once you have the shaft and tube out remove the screw that you used to pull the assembly out. On the side of the shaft that mates with the pump you will see a slot. You need to grind down about 1-2mm of the metal tangs on either side of that slot, just enough so it dose not protrude from the end of the plastic tube.

Once you have done this you can push the shaft and tube back into the motor (make sure you lubricate the o-rings) and put a cover plate over the hold where the pump use to be. By removing material from the tangs you will prevent the shaft from rubbing on your new cover plate.

If you need a few photos just let me know. Think I have an oil pump assembly around here somewhere.

id appreciate some photos :)

Here ya go

quick and easy block off plate (use the gasket as a template)

Here is the shaft running through the plastic tube. Note how it sticks up a little bit that is the amount you need to grind down.

Here is the shaft separated from the tube, the part of the shaft that is facing the tube is what you need to trim back.

Don't forget - at the bottom end of the shaft, there should be a tiny washer, don't leave that behind in the case.

I removed the the tab on the oil pump that is connected to the drive shaft, is there any reason why this will not work? Are there any added benefits to removing the shaft?

Dude Sean ya gotta read "do not just remove the shaft"

if you don;t mind the ugly oil pump still being attached to the motor then no ripping the part of the pump that is driven by the shaft will also work.

Good catch on the washer!

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ Joel Bruecker ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ /

Im going to resurrect this for a bit. Is it posible or bad idea to leav the pump in there and just run premix. Or can i just use the oil pump luke it should be used. Is there any way to calubrate the pump or is it care free

I also am trying to decide what to do about my oil pump. As in, HELP! what do i do?

If one doesn't care about the pump being there. Just pull off the hose and plug it up?

Raymod Gonzalez /

question what about if i remove the tube and the shaft?

Overpriced Parts /

You can't remove the tube without having an air leak so if you pull the shaft and both pieces come out you got to put the tube back and if you don't get the little washer shaft bushing down in there out it will get sucked into the engine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account