Motobecane Pedal arms bolt removal

just got myself a baller 50 vlx motobecane. dont know squat about these moby peds, but im gonna try. tryin to get the big pully off, but i cant get the damn crank arms off.

The problem is that i cant get the bolts out. the nuts stripped right away cause theyre so soft. but now i can get this bolt out,

i sprayed the bitch with wd40 and let it sit a few times, but they wont budge. theres nothing to grip on the bolt heads either. so i just stuck the nuts on and hammered them, but they wont budge, theyre threaded all the way through i noticed. is there a trick to getting them off?

Re: Motobecane Pedal arms bolt removal

If they're already ruined, take a big screwdriver and put the end of the thread end of the bolt. Take a dead blow hammer or a small sledge and give it a solid RAP. Repeat. Should come out after a few bangs.

Once you get the crank arms off read this before you try and remove the driven pulley, www.mabecanemobylette.com Get some circlip pliers, and be patient, much more complicated than it looks. Not impossible, but due to being French it is odd. Download the service manual from moped riders association web site, will save you hours of WTF? Best of luck with your new bike! VLX are very cool!

you might also try to use some heat (like a MAPP gas) and a penetrating lubricant (like PB Blaster)

what will i need circrip pliers for?

to remove a circlip

once you get the crank arm off, you need to remove (in order) the dust cover, one circlip, a washer, THEN the drive pulley. Trying to remove the retaining circlip w/o circlip pliers is a damn pain in the ass. Also, if it didnt already occur to you, you'll need to loosen your rear wheel to put a bunch of slack in the drive chain.

I've never had much trouble with the driven pulley,(pretty straitfoward). The variator is more frustrating but very do-able. I use two different pairs of circlip pliers, one pair is ho-made from a pair of hemostats.

yeah, i got the arms off and i see the circlips... but i dont have circlip pliers, and im working on this thing in my appartment, so my tool invatory isnt exactlly amazing. any tricks to getting the clip off without the pliers before i go out and drop $15 on a tool i wont use much?

If you've got a really cheap set of flatware, you could break all but one tine off of two forks and then file the tips down to fit in the circlip. Then you would just pry it off, as if you took the screw out of a set of pliers.

If you want to ruin your flatware, that is.

I've been there, but in the end your going want them. You'll be using them more than once. You risk ruining the clip doing it another way. You probably don't need to spend $15, look around( sears has a good selection). Keep in mind that they make at least two different types, with different amounts of reach and slightly bent tips to remove both "inside and outside" cir-clips.

The cost of a cheap circlip pliers is far less than replacing the part you ruin. Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove/install them without the tool. You can generally find them on the discount table at an auto parts store or Harbour Frieght for a couple of dollars. Most of these kits contain both innie and outtie pliers. You may not use them frequently but when you need them, you will have them. I have had mine for way more years than I care to admit!

Good luck with your project and let us know how it comes out.

yeah, im just gonna make the investment and get a circlip puller, i messed around with the thing for about an hour tryin to get it off

To save some money and frustration get pliers with incredibly long nose and very sharp tips - you going to need that when you go to work on the variator.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account