1977 Yamaha Champ 80cc

kcsaltmarsh /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Greetings,

A neighbor just gave me a 1977 Yamaha Champ (80cc, two stroke, oil injected) and I'm really excited to start playing with it. The only issue is I have ever really worked on bikes and it hasn't run in over 10 years. It only has 1600 miles and my neighbor was the only owner.

Does anyone have any tips or things I need to watch out for while trying to get it running?

The battery is toast, but the spark plug looked remarkably clean. I was planning on doing the following:

1. Flush the gas tank.

2. Replace the oil in the reservoir.

3. Replace the sparkplug.

4. I was told to squirt some oil into the spark plug hold and roll it in gear to oil up the cylinder seal.

5. Spray some carb cleaner into the top of the carb to clean off some of the varnish.

Any other ideas? I'm excited as hell to see if I can get this thing rolling! Thanks in advance.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account