Re: QT50 wiring newbie - lights and kill switch

keller_stephen /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

^in most states you need a brake light, you can hand signal for stop, but no one knows what it means! There is a flasher unit for the blinkers, it lives up front under the horn cover. If there is not enough power though it will not flash. Or it it is fried it will not flash. I know how you feel man, I have an '80qt, runs very well, but no tail/brake light, previous owner had them working, but when I got the bike bulb was blown out, replaced it and nothing...my wireing is janky as hell in and around the battery area, so I assume a short has developed. Directional signals have never worked, I replaced my flasher unit to no avail. Hand signaling is leagal for turns, but I like blinkers, especially at night. My headlamp is bright as hell though. My Batt is fried and disconected, many run these bikes without a batt, so don't think that is an issue, but over the winter I' am going to replace it, 20.00 at batteries plus! I see lots of corossion on the exposed contacts, so will be cleaning that all up, these bikes produce low levels of current so I' am thinking any corroision is draining away voltage. I downloaded the service manual, but wire diagrams give me a headache! I want my blinkers, but would be happy with just a tail lamp and a brake lamp. The guy I got the machine from is an excelent moped mechanic, the bike I traded him for this one had sat dead in my living room for years and in one season he has it modded and blasting, I think the fault lies with Yamaha's wireing, especially after years of exposure to the elements. I know he would have not ridden it with no rear lighting, so it had to have developed a short, otherwise the bulb in it when I got it would not have had blown filiments. There are tons of postings regarding qt-50 lighting issues. One thing I have heard is if the key switch has been messed with it can affect the distribution of the meager current available. My key switch does not kill the engine, but my kill switch does. Look on the buy sell forum for parts, people are always parting out these bikes. Best of luck!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account