Jawa Babetta tranzimo / thyristor repair

Johnny Thunder /

I have a 1976 Jawa Babetta that I'm pretty certain has a bad tranzimo unit. I've dug around on the forums quite a bit and found articles and a wiki entry on how to build a thyristor, but I'm unsure if this will fix my problem. Can I swap out a built thyristor in place of the tranzimo unit? If so, I haven't found any specifics as far as values for the parts needed. Perhaps this specific info is out there and I just haven't found it yet.

Any help or even a nudge in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks!

Re: Jawa Babetta tranzimo / thyristor repair

radio shak.

i think all the parts can be had for under 20.00

first

check your thryster.

its in the wiki.

get a multi-meter.

harbor freight has one for 3.00 right now

wiki tells you how to test a thryster

start there

The tranzimo and thyristor ignition systems are completely different and not interchangable. You might be able to swap the tranzimo stator for a thyristor stator, but I'm not positive. Try it and find out!

Johnny Thunder /

Yeah, I just noticed that they were two totally different beasts. Ideally, I'd be replacing as few parts as possible to get it working and would prefer not to change the ignition to the thyristor since, like you said, I'd have to swap the stator. Has anyone had any luck rebuilding or repairing a tranzimo?

curious

never have seen a tranzimo ignition yet.

whats the diff?

fallout Survivor /

Tranzimos were one piece coil and the transistor parts in one piece...This was all embedded in red plastic. Good luck finding a used good one... These units were not robust and just tended to die. Because the electronics were encased it is hard to repair. They did have a replacible component but you will not easily find one on the market.

Now you have to guess what part of the unit was bad was it the coil or the thyristor.

If you cannot you will have to replace the stator ring on the magneto and either find a good coil and thyristor combination ( the early units had a different sensor on the stator ring,, so you have to get an upgraded stator ring )

I can sell you a good 4 volt coil and thyristor... the wiring diagrams are easily found. Or you can make a thyristor, or you can buy a hungarian thyristor/coil combo.

A lot of this is explained on www.jawamoped.com

Johnny Thunder /

john_mastro, I sent you an email about the parts you have. Thanks!

fallout Survivor /

http://www.mz-b.com/babetta/ebabetta.htm

this company has a few parts, but I dont see the impulse ring is in stock,,, best check yourself. They might have some thyristor coil combos.

Johnny Thunder /

Looking around, I've found plenty of info on how to diagnose a faulty thyristor, but don't see anything on test a tranzimo unit. Before buying new parts, I just want to be damn sure that I'm not missing something. That said, how would I go about testing both the tranzimo and stator?

fallout Survivor /

you should be able to get an impulse reading off the stator outputs, with the right meter.

see the attached manual it outlines trouble shooting procedures on the transzimo and alternator around page 35.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account