Honda C70 ingnition bypass

my friend just gave me an 83 Honda Passport. It's a wiring mess. I'm pretty sure that the battery has to be charged for it to get spark and i think i'll have to start with a new battery. But i have no key, so any ideas on how to bypass the ignition?

Re: Honda C70 ingnition bypass

Simon Picard /

i can help you with that, i have the shop manual covering c50 c70 c90 1967 to 2003 at home. give me your frame number to indentofy the model number and tell me how many wire you have on the ignition switch.

simon

going into the ignition it has four wires, black, black with a white stripe, green and red. by the frame number do you mean the vin number?

Simon Picard /

yes body the vin number, thats right!!

Simon Picard /

black and red are connected together with the switch 'on'

green and black/white connected together with the switch 'off'

go buy this: http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/350

really helpful for complete restoration project

i just got an 81 c70 FTW!!!!!

Simon Picard /

yeah those 'noped' are cool i have a 1970 honda c50, i have put a lifan 110cc 4 speed in it, change the electrical systems 6v -

Great bikes. I have been riding mine for 5 years now and it's so dependable and fast too.

I bought a few passports together in a deal and some were in parts and some were mixed years. How can I tell if a Passport C70 is a 6v or a 12v system?

I know there are some years that are supposed to be one or another - but I'm not sure that a 6v engine didn't get bolted to a "12v model" frame. Ya know? I need a TEST to KNOW it's 6v or 12.

I say all of this because I cannot get ANY power out of a brand new 6v battery to one of the bikes.

Hmmm I think a good rule of thumb is if it has points - 6V, if it has a CDI - 12V.

I believe after 82 is when they started using 12V/CDI ignition.

Here's some links for you:

https://www.motorera.com/honda/h0070/cub70.htm#y-1982

https://www.carlsalter.com/Honda-C50-C70-C90-maintanance.html

You might try using a multimeter .

Or , looking at some of the components to determine the voltage . It usually printed ...

kevin Smellaflange /

my c70 is a 1980 6v...electric starter is not very reliable.

12v is supposed to be more reliable

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> my c70 is a 1980 6v...electric starter is not very reliable.

>

> 12v is supposed to be more reliable

I worked on two of those and both had starter issues. Fixed em both by bypassing a neutral switch and telling the owner not to start it without it being in neutral. No complaints!

Just unplug the ignition. It will kick start but won't shut off.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account