How do I Remove the Pulley on a 80 Motobecane?

I have 3 Motobecanes but I cant get the pedal Pulley off. Cant find anything explaining removal or pulley overhaul. Thanks for any help.

Re: How do I Remove the Pulley on a 80 Motobecane?

1. remove pedal crank

2. remove dust cover, it is pressed on, I usually use pliers to twist it off, gently so as not to mar it, often i will put something soft in between the pliers and the dust cover.

3. remove circlip

4. remove pulley

or just read the manual :)

Adam Margovic /

Not to dig up old news, but... *grabs shovel*

Any tips as to actually getting the little circlip bastards out? The "remove circlip" step listed above isn't working for me. I have a decent set of clip pliers, but they keep on slipping off of the pliers as I try to pull them out. Every. Single. Time. I have tried:

1. Everything

2. Alcohol (for me, not the bike)

3. Cussing+Screaming (the neighbors are starting to talk)

4. Sulking in my own sorrows for most of February

5. Going to confession

6. Everything

This should not be this hard. Is it an angle thing? Perhaps my pliers are just not angled correctly? Is there a Moby specific tool that I am missing?

Giovanni Lema /

I had a similar issue the firat time i tried. I had to slightly bend the tips of my clip plyers. ie if they open pitch out if they close pitch in. I just used my small bench vice and carefully pushed or pulled!! Hope that helps

Adam Margovic /

It's worth a shot! I will try it- There's probably a "sweet spot" when bending them that's enough to grab but not too much that they won't pass into the clip holes. Thanks!

Giovanni Lema Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had a similar issue the firat time i tried. I

> had to slightly bend the tips of my clip plyers.

> ie if they open pitch out if they close pitch in.

> I just used my small bench vice and carefully

> pushed or pulled!! Hope that helps

Just a light touch with the cutting wheel on a dremel will put a slight nick in the peg on the circlip pliers to get some grippage to extract the stubborn truarc.

I found this thread earlier today because I was having trouble getting the pedal crank pin out. I ended up putting a block of wood on the ground, stuck a metal pipe over the pin between the pedal crank and block of wood and hammered it down towards the ground. The pipe braced the pedal shaft so it wouldn't bend. I also had to heat the area with a torch for a few seconds.

Then I took photos of the rest of the removal to go along with the write up above. I just thought photos might help someone reading this in the future. No further questions.

1. Pedal Crank Pin:

2. Spacer:

3. Dust Cover:

4. Circlip:

5. Washer/Shim and everything else:

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account