1979 Benelli G2/Installing new clutch

First off, Thanks to everyone that helped me out up to this point. You guys Rock!

My clutch was thrashed, so I purchased a puch moped e50 3 shoe adjustable race clutch maxi. I am told this will work. I got it down to just the tapered shaft an the bell housing, ready to put thee new clutch on, but the tapered shaft has a spine on it, and the female tapered hole on the clutch does not!

Is there anything I can do to get around this? Can I dremel a slot to fit the spine on the clutch hole? Or take it to a machine shop to do the same?(probably a better idea)

Or grind the spine off the main shaft and crank it down tight?

Any help? Thanks to everyone, -1jdz

Re: 1979 Benelli G2/Installing new clutch

take a picture. I'm not sure what you mean, the benelli shouldnt have a splinned shaft...if it does thats really weird.

We need pics.

i guess its the woodruf not a spine. But the way the clutch spins ,and the way the clutch is tapered it doesnt seem right.Its backwards. I dont think I have the right clutch, but I cant find anything else out there? thanks -1jdz

1271949491_img_0553.jpg

The back.

1271949632_img_0550.jpg

the front.

Any suggestions?

1271949685_img_0551.jpg

The front side of the clutch goes towards the bell. The backside faces the clutch cover plate

With that said, the spin is wrong. The shaft spins counter clockwise, but the shoes are meant for the spin to be clockwise to allow the centrifugal force to push the shoes out to contact the bell housing. Does that make sense? Is there a clutch meant for a counter clockwise spin?

I do not see any spline.. you meant keyed. For the wooduff key..

Take it to a machine shop tell them to cut the slot.. done.

Make sure you listen if he telling storys. Old people full life.

If you wanna play with a 2 shoe . I can get you a used one out of the ben.

Make sure you buy high quality taps for cutting the m6 thread in the new clutch.. if not you will not get it back off.. well you can but most not know how to.

I compared my 2 shoe to your 3 shoe...they are the same with 3 or 2 pads, the push out the same direction. Looking at the crank from the clutch side the crank spins CW. So when you look at the padded side of the clutch the pads will spin outward CCW...I'm not sure that makes sense but either way...that 3 shoe will work jsut like the 2 shoe, just like I said it would....you are making this hard on yourself. If I didnt know what I was talking about, I wouldnt have said anything...try it whats the worst that can happen? You have to take it back off?

I'm not doubting you, I appreciate your input! But looking at the crank from the clutch side(the right side) of my Benelli. The crank spins CCW. So from the padded side they spin clockwise. Working against itself. Is my problem that I am trying to put a LEFT SIDE CLUTCH on the RIGHT SIDE of the bike?

Once again, all the help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Again!!!! -1jdz

Well since the benelli and the e50 both rotate in the same direction it will work just like it does on an e50. If you are trying to contemplate how the clutch revovles and works...stop, its confusing as hell. Just tap those holes and put it in...I promise it works.

I pulled this clutch out of a benelli motor

Despite the thought process you are using, the pads typically wear on the non spring side, proving that if you install them, they will sping CW on the shaft if you are looking at the padded side of the clutch...but you are dragging the shoes on the bell, so the direction of contact is correct....that probably didnt make any sense but yeah just do it. overthinking it can get confusing.

OK, I'll do it. Is the clutch on an e50 on the right or the left side of the bike? I'm loosing it!@#$%

thanks _Jdz

everything is nearly exactly the same as an e50...spins the same direction takes the same clutch, has about the same main gear....just little differences.

e50 is on the throttle side of the bike.

I know we are going way back in time now re this thread but can you tell me how successful you were

I have a similar problem and was thinking about going down the Puch E50 clutch route

My dilemma stems from which format I should choose for my Kick start fitted G2

any feedback would be most welcome

Kind regards DJDB

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 12.20.27.png
Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 12.19.35.png
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account