"the works" rust removal schtuff

found this stuff at the dollar store for a doll hair a big bottle I know some people swear by it to clean a rusty tank... whats your technique

should I water ity down in order to fill the whole tank

can I leave it in or will it eat the good metal also

I know it's gonna make some fumes so outside but should I leave the cap off

THANKS FOR THE HELLP

Re: "the works" rust removal schtuff

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

The stronger the solution, the better results. Buy more for a dollar a bottle. Make sure you remove your petcock and plug the hole.

+1

The stronger the solution, the better results. Buy more for a dollar a bottle. Make sure you remove your petcock and plug the hole.

COLDTRAILERS - mikebeez /

get a bunch of loose nuts and put it in with the solution. dont use the cap because it will eat the gaskets. i usually tape like a rag around the tank/frame holding the gas cap hole shut. cork off the petcock hole then our it all in and start shaking. the nuts will help knock most of the rust out. do NOT get the works on paint or chrome or it will eat that shit.

First, REMOVE YOUR PETCOCK. Then get some hose and rig it up like this. break>

After that, degrease the tank with dish soap (like Dawn) or another degreaser of your choice. If the tank is removable, then I'd throw something in there and shake it up to help get the big chunks off. If it isn't removable, I'd go for a high pressure hose at the car wash.

Then add the works. Do not get any of the acid on paint. Or chrome. Or plastic (like the measuring cup on the gas cap -- I used a plastic bucket to hold the acid, and that was fine though). Or concrete. Do not get it anywhere or on anything that is not the inside of your tank. I think I used one bottle and filled the rest up with water, but you can use two bottles too if you want. It will work faster, but it will also destroy other surfaces faster if you happen to get it somewhere it isn't supposed to be.

After all of that, rinse out the tank well. Then use baking soda to neutralize any acid left. Then rinse the tank some more. Then rinse the tank out out with rubbing alcohol to help get rid of the extra water. Then dry it out as best you can. Then IMMEDIATELY either fill it up with premix, or hose it down with WD40 to keep it from re-rusting.

My lawn has a large spot where nothing grows from me using the works last year.

Stuff is awesome though.

MMM recipe

remove petcock and gas cap. Flush out with high pressure water a lot. Make sure to also to spray water into the hole where the petcock is and let drain from the gas cap hole. Fill up with works. Let sit. Flush out. Flush out with water. Fill with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Let sit for a while. Flush with water. Fill with 70% or higher denatured alcohol. let sit for a while. Drain. Hairdryer a bit. Fill with premix.

Good luck!

how long should it sit/ will it eat through the metal after it slayith the rust?

Depending on how much you dilute it and how bad the rust is, I'd say let it sit for an hour or so, then drain and assess. If it's still super rusty, pour it back in, up the time, and drain/reassess again after 2 or 3 hours or something. Just keep doing that until it's clean. When I used it, a 50/50 solution of the works and water ate flash rust and some big chunky rust that the Evaporust hadn't gotten in under 15 minutes.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Just bought 4 bottles for my wife's bike. My bike was too well taken care of!

well sheeit

so the works is mainly acid-based? i tried using evaporust last year but i went stingy and only bought enough to half fill the tank and this was on a moby. i was flipping it around but i think the rust would just come back to the exposed parts right away.

I don't have any good safety gear for using the harsher acids - is this stuff safer to use?

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

It's not bad. it does like to eat concrete, but I had my bare hands in it for a while. Don't know that I'd recommend that, though. but yeah, it's safer thatn muriatic acid, and cheaper.

fallout Survivor /

Its just muriatic acid , diluted... wear safty glasses and have lots of water around to rinse any off on hands. and be away that if you get drops on your cloths they will have holes in them when you wash them.. rubber aprons or raincoats , regular dish washing gloves will protect hands.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account