Best 2 stroke oil?

This may sound dumb, but what is the best 2 stroke oil to use in our mopeds? I've had multiple people recommend synthetic. This one guy has had his ped for 20 years and swears by the 2 stroke oil specifically targeted for snowmobiles... Whats your thoughts??? I don't care of price as I know it's imperative to the bike..

Re: Best 2 stroke oil?

Amsoil Dominator @ 50:1.

I mix it with AVGas 100LL, tho'.

You're going to get about 30 different answers to this question, although I have a feeling Amsoil and Motul will be the most commonly recommended. Other synthetics will probably be next, and then you'll get a handful of people saying that they run Wal-Mart or gas station 2-stroke and have never had a problem with it. I think it might be almost universally agreed upon that castor-based two-stroke oils smell good when you burn them but gum up your rings.

I like Bel Rey @ 50-1. Sythetics are proven to be the best. Yes, love the way burnt Caster Oil smells.

NOTE: You can seize any motor with any oil if the piston or bearings wern't fitted correctly in the first place.

I got dirt-cheap Honda GN2 2-stroke from the cycle shop. I think it's just dino oil. Hope I'm not going to hurt anything?

blendzall

amsoil, saber oil 50:1....all day long

Is Klotz synthetic oil any good?? Thats what this one guy swears by....

redline racing synthetic 50:1

Honestly, it's oil for a engine with hilariously poor build tolerances. I see little reason to use anything but the cheapest stuff unless some major work had been done to the engine. Even then, budget dino blood is solid stuff.

Welcome to moped engines...home of the hilariously poor build tolerances.

Tried redline... (ok)

Motul (very good!)

amsoil take the cake

-Shadow

Amsoil, it disperses very well in the gas tank, is cheap for a synthetic, and it's awesome.

Where do you buy Amsoil and which one do I get??

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Amsoil Saber 2 cycle

buy it online somewhere

-Shadow

Amsoil Saber at 60:1 is the best oil and ratio I have ever run, and I've tried nearly everything.

I second this, same ratio i use too.

-Shadow

Yeah, its all about the amsoil saber.

Everyone knows that its the best oil with the best protection and all that.

The main reason its the best is because its made in Wisconsin, and the best everything is from Wisconsin. Simple fact.

I love the little amsoil saber single serving packets. They are like giant versions of ketchup packets, or like the kind of packets that shampoo or laundry detergent samples come in.

I always have one in my backpack or pocket. I had one burst once that was most non-triumphant. Those pants still have a giant blue stain that is still greasy after like 5 washes.

Thats for my kitted bikes though. For my stock bikes I usually get a gallon jug of "semi synthetic" whatever. I have also run the poopy stuff with a picture of a weed whacker and a chainsaw on the front without any problem in stock bikes.

As an anecdote, I once soft seized a kitted bike that had been fed none but the finest saber its whole kitted life. On a long straight away that I rode everyday she soft seized and I almost cried. Turned out no damage done, she started right back up. My point is, with all over variable constant, same bike, same straight away same speed, same rider, roughly the same weather etc. the poopy pre-mix seized when the synthetic saber premix did not.

So yeah, stock whatever, kitted saber. I hear motol is good but they don't serve it round these parts.

You will be fine, have run that in my Hobbit for years!

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Isn't Sparty from Wisconsin? That blows a BIG hole in your statement about Wisconsin.

ipone samuri or the 2 stroke oil is the best ever, little on the pricing side. they also make snowmobile oil that is like 70 bucks a gallon, could be what your freind is talking about. ipone and also rock oil.

On a stock ped that runs a max of 9000 RPMs I use Castrol 2T. we have a Maxi that was siezed, beat the piston out sanded down the sides of the piston till it was solid grey honed out the cylinder and now two years and 4000 miles later, still screams 35 all day long and has 165 psi of compression. Castrol 2T 40:1

What would happen if you say, ran a moped on a 25:1 mix? I have a terrible feeling that I may have just done such a thing.

i like maxima. k2 is good. and bio 2t.

I vote for ELF MOTO 2 SPORT RACING COMPETITION

Amsoil 100:1 Saber gets my vote.

I know someone who was running it, borrowed some gas from a friends can. Gas was straight..not premixed...and he ran 15 miles b4 seizing.

"poor build tolerances" ?

Fred Melonhead /

What ?

I don't know if you are talking about some specific model ?

If not .. then you're just full of shit

If you are talking about parts clearances ... like piston to bore ? ... for something like a Honda ? .. or any other Jap bike ?

... yeah ... full of shit ... those running tolerances ... (like piston/bore clearance - cold) ... are absolutely MANDATORY ... any tighter and the piston will seize in the bore when hot .. on a hot day

even 30 years later ... the best liquid cooled 50cc 2 strokes are not that much tighter (but a little)

... and ... I don't know why you would make the assumption that because an engine is somehow "poor" quality ? ... that it would require "less good" oil

seems you got it backwards if anything my young doofus

It won't run as well, and it will make extra black oily crap in your exhaust pipe. More smoke, too. But it won't do anything bad to your engine.

If you change your oil/fuel mixture, you just changed your fuel/air mixture. We are using fixed jet carbs. It's pretty common for guys who are concerned about their chainsaws or weedwhackers running hot to add more oil to the fuel, then they stick them. If you change oil ratios, you may want to pay attention to your jetting/needle positions. I use any ASI rated oil that is handy.

atually running alot of oil can be harmful, mainley because if there is more oil that means less gas going through the jet because it is thicker with oil, therefore more lean. you dont need a pissload of oil, its only there to provide some lubrication, doesnt burn well when there is alot.

In my opinion, Royal Purple is the best. Followed by Amsoil and Golden Spectro.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account