Is powder coat better/differant that painting?

Everyone talks about powder coating these days. Why? Is it better or easier than spray painting? Sounds to me like something that would require special equipment or at least differant expertise.

Re: Is powder coat better/differant that painting?

Yes, it is better. The finish is super durable and looks great. It takes specialized equipment as well. If you had several frames to do, it would be worth buying a gun and building an oven. The downside is that there is a somewhat limited selection of finishes.

sofasurferlinux /

The reason I ask is that I have only had limited experience with spray painting. I think it would be very easy for me to spray my moped. But I am thinking I would really like to do it in metal flake, which I have never done. I think I need to buy a special tip for my gun but that is all I know.

i've been considering painting my frame as well. my little brother has an air compressor and spray guns. he's also got a sand blaster. what would be suggested for me?

sofasurferlinux /

Yes, I would like to hear everyones suggestions.

Plastics!

well they are the future mars.

"plastics, baby, plastics!"

Spray looks good, but chips and scratches really easy. I used rattle can's to paint my bike, used a lot of clear.

1258427039_p1010077.jpg

i would love to have my ped powdercoated .......

but i dont want to pay all the $$$$$$..

the amount i spent on powdercoating i could buy a few mopeds.

for $7.99 i can paint a whole frame

1258429606_ebr_002.jpg

sofasurferlinux /

Well, that comment sure steers me away from powder coat ;-)

It cost me $80 to have my magnum powdercoated with a two stage powder. A single stage would have been only $50. As to colors, you can have any color you want. If somebody says you can't have a certain color go elsewhere. There are a million powdercoaters in every town. As to durability, if it's done right you will not chip it. You really have to gouge to scratch it. Put it this way, anything you can throw at paint and not scratch/chip it won't do anything to a good powder job. If it does chip, get your money back, because the part wasn't cleaned properly before it was coated.

sofasurferlinux /

Very interesting, thanks.

John Joedicke /

Use manifold high temp paint for a durable rattle can finish.

Powder coating is infinitely better. I paid $125 for my frames to get coated- I've had 5 frames done and I've painted 2 frames with a gun --- rattle can is the cheap, short-term, not durable method that results in uneven areas, drips, drops, scratches, etc. Powder coating is even, clean, durable, and looks fucking sexy.

sofasurferlinux /

This is great information, thanks.

How is the surface prepare before delivery to to powder coat shop? Do I prime it or does the shop do that? Or is primer even required?

Give them your rusty crusty frame and be like "MAKE IT PRETTY!" They will sandblast it, coat and electrify your frame, powder coat, and bake it! All you have to do is pick up and give the monies. They're so sexy!

ITs basically like a truckbed lining. Plast powder is sprayed on and held with static cling and is melted so it stays. I wonder if its lighter than paint.

It's better for stuff that needs to just be a color and durable. Doesn't look as nice as a real paint job with some clear coat though. Powder coating frames, swingarms, forks, wheels is a good route.

You can get a frame powder coated for like 200 or less. If they want more than that, run...

in ohio $200 = 3 or 4 peds

$200 you could buy a whole lot of spay paint

also i seem to modify my frames here and there then i just spaypaint over and it looks new again .

not so easy to touch up powdercoat

but i sure would like to have at least one of my projects powdercoated.

splurge u only live once....

sofasurferlinux /

Whats the process when painting the plastic parts? If I remember, there is an addative for the paint that makes it pliable after it dries.

sofasurferlinux /

Just so I get this straight...

Are you saying that the appearance (the "wow!" factor) is better on a spray painted job than on a powder coat?

Professional paint whether it is professional sprayed or powdercoated will usually be worth the cost, which will be under $100. At the very least think about it for the rims, which will take the most abuse. Of course, stay within your budget and splurge if you can on the pro paint. Most places will do all the prep work (stripping/sanding etc) for you so if the hours are worth something to you, that's also what you are paying for. Good luck!! We have lots of powdered and sprayed parts on our blog <www.tomahawkpug.com>

i have seen some nice powder coat but then ive seen some spray paint jobs that look better than powder coat

If you are going to paint... use DUPONT automotive paint.

I have painted a few cars and many guitars with Dupont. and they look amazing. You should wait 24 hrs between coats and don't wax for 6 months or you get spider webs under clear coats.

Dupont does sell rattle cans for those that don't have sprayers.

I also use Rustoleum primer it protects from future rust.

BUSHY

like everyone else said, powder is sooo much better than paint. You can pay to have it done or buy your own. You don't have to build an "oven" as long as you can get an ir lamp and control the distance and temperature (use a temp gun thing). I did it that way for multiple bikes and wheel sets now.

Painting still isn't bad, if your talking about single stage sprayer through a correct gun. I learned how to paint for a project as well, if done right looks real nice.

Pic attached is one of my painted bikes with powercoated engine rims, bits etc.

not hard to learn

1259168353_brian_001.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account