NO SPARK!!!

i am a newbie but i am going to try and be as detailed as i can with my post.

problem: no spark

set up:

e50 casing

70cc treat kit

3 shoe adjustable clutch

internal ignition coil

12 volt light coil

universal voltage regulator

new condenser

boss pipe

21mm dellorto race carb (the black one)

how i have it wired:

internal coil has a white wire which i have running to the condenser

(kill switch spliced into white wire between ignition coil and condenser)

(kill switch is grounded to frame)

internal coil also has the spark plug wire going to the spark plug (duh)

12 volt light coil has green and yellow wire running to the yellow wire of the voltage regulator.

voltage regulator has a red wire which i have not yet hooked up to the lights

i noticed the ignition coil has no ground wire. could this be the problem?

any help would be awesome.!!

Re: NO SPARK!!!

its a pinto 2 with an e50

Have you hooked up the points? White wire goes to the condenser, points, and kill switch, all in parallel.

Coil should be internally grounded. Test for continuity between the white wire and ground.

Miswiring the lights won't keep the engine from running. All you need is the coil, points, and condenser.

yeah ive got the the black wire from the point going to the condenser. and i have checked my timing.

you can always illuminate the kill switch to make sure that's not the problem.

im thinking i should buy one of those CDI packages. ugh its reeeeally frustrating!!

That's an awful lot of variables to add to the equation for someone who's new to mopeds. How about making it run first, getting it go a little faster, then begin to really tinker. Or just get yourself a cdi bolt it on and blast.

yeah. it was running. it was pretty fast then it just crapped out. dunno.

Have you replaced any parts besides the condenser? Your coil may have just up and died. Resistance checks will not always spot a bad coil, the only certain test is to substitute a new or known-good one.

Be sure the points are clean and properly gapped, also check for shorts to ground. For example where the condenser is soldered everything needs to be on the insulated top button. Don't let any solder or bare wires flow over and touch the sides. Disconnect the kill switch as it is a potential short to ground.

Yeah i replaced the coil. i went with the 12 volt coil. new condenser and went with the internal ignition coil.i have disconnected the kill switch . but still no spark.

i guess im going to take it all apart and start over again

thanks for the help!

ive tried almost everything i can think of or read about online. still no spark..any other suggestions?

Check that your points are working and properly timed. Use the old-school battery and bulb timing light method. That will also verify continuity of the primary side of the coil and find shorts to ground.

Maybe your parts aren't made for each other, for example the magnets in the flywheel don't align with the core of the coil.

Before you start smashing things like I do when I can't get problems sorted out, do you have a lathe or drill press?

If you do, you can try mounting your stator on a piece of wood with screws or something, and mount your flywheel to the lathe or drill, that way you can sit there with a multi-meter and try to diagnose exactly where the problem is.

NO SPARK!!!

Fred Melonhead /

I didn't have time to rasd any of the replies

... but ... one of the quickest ways to start diagnosing this is ... run a jumper wire straight from the points output wire ... straight to the coil input ... bypassing any switches and connections

then crank it and check for spark

no spark ?

make SURE the points are clean and gapped correctly ... then try again

one of the common things is ... the points are sadjusted so that they won't actually (electrically) close

or there is a film of oxidation on their faces thats not even really visible

or ... somebody did not install the 'insulator' washers at the points connections ... in their proper places to keep the points voltage from going straight to ground

so it ran with this set up and just crapped out right?? did you try a brand spanking new plug or check to see if you have gas?

yeah it ran with this set up then it crapped out. its got a full tank of gas. i have put a new plug. cant figure it out tho.

not sure if you have done this yet. but hardwire it. if it doesnt work after that, than you have a part that is not doing its job.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Hardwiring_a_Puch

well im running just a 12v light coil. and an internal coil. i just dont understand whats going on with it

ok so after a good handful of tries. im still without a spark. i was told about a ground wire that should be running out from behind the stator plate??

An internal coil really shouldn't need much of an external ground, everything vital for the ignition is mounted on the stator plate and grounded to it.

Do the timing light test like I suggested. It'll test quite a few things. You need test equipment to diagnose electrical problems. No one can see electricity, therefore you can't tell what's really going on no matter how long you just stare at it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account