Honda Urban Express battry connection

Adam Shoemaker /

Hey guys/gals...I had a quick question for you. I have acquired an 82 Honda Urban Express, but it does not have the battery. Where the battery connects, there are 3 wires dangeling. 2 red wires and one green wire. Which wires connect to the battery? What does the 3rd wire do? If anyone knows it would be so helpfull!

Thanks,

Adam

Re: Honda Urban Express battry connection

Adam Shoemaker /

OK! I solved this problem, but I have another!

My "oil pressure" indicator gets power (lights up) my horn honks, and my brake lights work...but nothing else works. My headlight, ignition coil, ect, are only drawing a few tenths of voltage. What could be the reason for this? I checked the whole harness' main power and ground wires, and they read 12v throughout.

my oil light only comes on if the battery is dead, if that helps

Raymond Rexroad /

The headlight is not fed from the battery.

The ignition is not fed from the battery.

Both are fed from the stator directly. They only get power when the flywheel is spinning.

Adam Shoemaker /

So, would it be safe to say then that the stator has gone bad? Or possibly the points in the flywheel?

Raymond Rexroad /

My point was: if you're expecting the headlight and ignition system to have power when the ped/engine is at rest, then your expectation is wrong.

Please describe what your doing while testing.

Are you cranking the engine, and you have no spark?

Are you cranking the engine, and you have no headlight, or are you measuring for voltage when cranking?

Is that wiring completed/intact?

Can you read a schematic?

Adam Shoemaker /

When I am cranking the engine, I have found that I have little to no spark. Sometimes it does spark, weakly, and sometimes it does not. But when it does, the engine still does not even try to fire.

I was not cranking the engine while testing the headlight, and it does not work while cranking.

The wiring seems to be complete, there are no missing wires/no disconnected plugs.

My dad and I (he is an electrical engineer) have been looking at the wiring diagram to try and determine the problem, but we only have the 1st half of the wiring diagram from the shop manual that is floating around on the internet on mopedriders.0rg, but the second half of the diagram showing the battery, CDI, ignition coil, ect... is missing. So all we have to go off of is the first half of the wiring diagram.

The engine is giving a compression of just over 90psi.

The starter relay is working.

I am missing the "off-run-off" switch, but I have attached my own switch in its place.

I can take some pictures of anything if it would help!

Raymond Rexroad /

If you're talking about the half schematic over at mopedriders.org - yeah, its a pain.

You should be able to used MOST of the NU50 schematic that is available over there. I know that one difference is the electric starter connections. I believe that that is the ONLY difference, but not 100% sure.

Regardless, I'd still use the NU50 schematic to troubleshoot your ped.

Adam Shoemaker /

Yup, thats what we've been doing..just kinda flipping back and forth between the two. Still no dice though, and I'm out of ideas. I'm going to check one more thing tomorrow, the stator, and see if the Ohm's on it are comparable to what the manual says. If that looks fine, than I have no idea what it could be. Hell, maybe its something as simple as a bad plug wire.

Raymond Rexroad /

Did you really solve the battery connection problem correctly?

My point is that there are two Black/Red wires that must be spliced together (if you don't have the correct battery connector). If these aren't spliced then the ignition won't work.

You should have a red that comes into the battery compartment that eventually goes to the battery (should be through a fuse if you have one). The green goes to the battery.

Adam Shoemaker /

I will try to post a picture of my setup, not too sure If I can do this correctly.

The red wire going to the battery is actually a double-braided red wire (so two red wires twisted together-one thicker red wire and a smaller guage red wire)

1248302663_p1020225.jpg

Adam Shoemaker /

Does that look like its hooked up correctly?

Raymond Rexroad /

I'd say yes for the red wires. I suspect that the Black/Red wires are stuffed inside the "body". Make sure that you find them and that they are spliced together.

Adam McCombs /

Not to hijack but I'm having a similar issue. Picked up this bike the other day and the wiring is shot.

I've got 6 wires running out the side.

1 & 2) These two black and red wires look like they were cut so I've attached them together.

3) Green - assumed negative/ground

4) Solid red - assumed positive

5 & 6) Solid red with fused - looks attached with fuse on purpose.

I'v referenced the shop manual and as best I can tell I should run red (#4) and green (#3) straight to the battery?

Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

photo2.jpg

Adam Shoemaker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, would it be safe to say then that the stator

> has gone bad? Or possibly the points in the

> flywheel?

The bike is cdi, not points. The ignition will run if the bike had no lights at all. Spark is a separate issue from the lighting or battery problem you are having.

You can check for stator output by disconnecting the lead for the headlight, putting a meter to it on acv and kicking the bike over. It should jump while spinning. The cdi output can be tested the same. The voltage will be much higher on that lead though.

You say you put a switch ion place of the off-run-off? How do you have that switch set up? If it is connecting ANY of the wiring together the bike will not run. that is simply a ground connection to kill the cdi.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account