Puch electrical Gurus... i need your help!

ok, so i've been struggeling to get spark for a few weeks now on my maxi project. I'm trying to hardwire it. i've attatched a little doodle i made of how i have it wired. I'm pretty confident that my points are set properly, and i know they're clean. if you see any problems with the way I have this thing wired, let me know, and if not, what in the world could be my problem? i've also tried disconnecting the blue wire (the one that goes to the coil) and tried to get it to spark to ground, and it wouldn't. what am I missing?

1245198520_maxihardwired_diagram.jpg

Re: Puch electrical Gurus... i need your help!

Where's your blue/black wire? It needs to be grounded.

If you still can't get spark undo everything. Connect the blue wire from the stator to blue from the ht coil and ground it. Take your spark plug boot off and touch the wire to the metal...it'll shock you if it works. Could just be a shitty boot or spark plug wire.

i guess i forgot to mention that my maxi is a 74, and the older models didn't have a blue/black wire. it has a yellow wire that goes to the horn, and then a bright pink wire that goes from the horn to ground, and the yellow continues on to the headlight switch, so i just skipped the horn and switch and sent the yellow straight to the headlight. the attatched image is the diagram i was basing my hardwiring off of.

1245241890_puch_wiring_diag.gif

If you just run your blue wire directly to your ignition coil, you should get a spark. Perhaps you should remove the kill switch from your scenario and do a more literal hardwiring just to see if the problem isn't something more like your points or condenser, or if it's simply bad wiring.

I found on two of my bikes that the gray wire that is supposed to go to the tail light doesn't work....and if you ground it....the bike won't start. I had to run a "Y" from the head light wire to the tail light.

Just something else to try....

leftovers... that sounds like something to try.. i'll give it a shot.

martian... i've tried running the blue wire to the coil and grounding it, and got no spark... i'm starting to lean towards bad condensor, because i'm pretty positive the points are good, clean, and set properly.

ftw, get internal ignition and 12v lights.

boot comes straight off of stator to plug.

lights will have 1 or 2 wires to run to headlight and tail.

thats straight wiring.

treats is selling setups for like 25 now like that?

easiest trouble shooting in the world.

yeah, that's what i am thinking i should do as well. already shot benji some Q's about it.

Ordered. problem solved. any tips on how to make my own flywheel puller?

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

rubber mallet will get your flywheel off,

hardwire is one coil one wire to ignition, one coil one wire to lights (split), done. ground any other wires. no horn, killswitch!? cmon wtf?

get a new condenser = eliminate potential problems!

and make sure the internal coil is in the box when you get it too. somehow mine turned into a puegeot external condenser, and i never got the bosch internal coil i paid for.

yeah rubber mallet is easy, or get a small 3 jaw puller. they can come in handy for other uses as well.

as for straight wiring with the 12v light/ internal ignition.

it should be 2 wires really (i had one 12v light coil have 2 light wires though. still simple).

To all you guys eliminating your kill switch and taillights... Are you cutting fuel to kill the bike and just not worrying about the brake lights???

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account