backfire

Hey dudes,

I backfired about 5 times last night over the span of like 5ish hours (not of continuous riding). It's never happened before and I guess I'm just wondering if it's a big deal, or is there an easy explanation/fix.

Re: backfire

it could be running a tad to rich or dirty points

Going to ass-u-me it's been running fine till now. You didn't mention when though ,At idle ? Starting ? Accel ? Decell ? Backfire through the carb? Check your 1. timing -stator slipped, 2. points (may be wearing a bit affecting timing), 3. lean condition backfire (air leaks at intake near carb) 4. condensor 5. fuel 6. exhaust plugged -stretching it here (but I had one full of a rats nest and that bike backfired - sad but true )

It has been running fine till now. It happens when I'm at or around top speed. I don't know where it's coming from except that it makes a loud pop. It seemed to happen more as the temperature dropped in the evening. I rode for a better part of the day in warm weather (high 70's) and didn't hear any more pops. I'm thinking I may be rich?

I would check your points, the gap is probably too close.

That happens to me too. Check and see if you are sparking at the points. (Could be a sign of a bad condenser, although, I replaced mine and it still sparks). Your timing may also be a little retarded and need to be advanced. If you've first advanced the timing and it still does it and then replaced the condenser (three bucks at auto zone, ask for a VW Karmaghia one) and it still does it, then check to see if there's oil on the engine case under the stator. If there's not I read about one guy on here replacing the spark plug wire and boot and it fixing everything. If there is, sand it off it should help.

There, I think that's every possible solution I can think of. I feel like I just wrote a choose your own adventure novel. Good luck.

good post maggie.

You were right, my timing was so so retarded, one of the screws was missing n everythang. Thank you for bein so thorough! Super good post indeed.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account