Mountain Bike Headset on Moped?

Anyone ever tried to do this on a Puch maxi running EBR forks? Does anything have to be modified? What size etc..

Just a thought as Puch headsets have been hard to come by here in the UK and there's shed loads of cheap mountain/BMX bike headsets on eBay.

Any info appreciated,

Mike

Re: Mountain Bike Headset on Moped?

try it and let us know. if it were me, i'd try to upgrade and find something from a small m/c instead of downgrading w/ bicycle parts.

put a chris king on that thing, ha, ha!

I reckon some head sets are built to pretty high standards.

I'm sure a headset designed for the huge shocks and stresses of downhill will cope with general road use. A lot of them are fitted with sealed bearings too, unlike the standard Puch bearings.

I'll look into it anyway..

I don't know the sizes but its been done. I bet high-end downhill forks are better than standard EBRs but then they cost more too. My concern would be that the spring rates would be all wrong.

it would be nice to have a threadless head-set on my puch.

So I went out to the garage and took some measurements...

Now this is on a Trac moped, which is Korean made but probably would still be true for a Puch. The headset is 1 inch-a very common bicycle headtube size-I was even able to screw on the top cap from a bike to my moped headset. So that looks good if you can get a threaded headset, but here's the problem. Most good mt bike/BMX bike headsets are 1 1/8" as well as threadless. You have to use a clamp on stem to made the headset tight. I see that treats has Puch headsets for $12-pretty doggone good deal if you ask me! Now what I would like to do is put a dual crown mt bike fork that has disk brake tabs on it on my Puch. Now we would be talking! Anyone done it?

I've done it with older standard headset hardware, but i haven't tried with any newer 'performance' pieces simply because they're too expensive for the minimal gains in performance.

I did it i bought a King 2-Nut 1 inch we will see how it goes ill mill the headset and head tube if i have too pics soon. oh yeah for a 1978 Honda hobbit

Update Got the 2 nut from chris king in my hand sized it up to the bike looks like it will go no problem. Now all i need to do is check the steer tube it measured one inch so I am sure it will go.

Im trying the same thing with my free spirit, however I'm going one step further and ditching the stock swing arm as well. I took mine to the local bicycle shop, they took the measurements for a good fit from my frame and we're going from there. I'm even going to try to swap out my wheels for 29 inch with a dual sprocket set up but its going to take some imagination.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account