Re: Anyone taken apart a puch maxi speedometer?

Thomas Peffer /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I've taken apart a dozen or so Puch speedometers and the needle warping upward from the sun is a very common issue. Not much to the speedo as far as the actual insides are concerned. I believe it's a design flaw by VDO because most every Puch speedo has this problem. Basically you have to pry open the bezel with a tiny flathead screwdriver in order to get inside. The needle is just press fitted onto the shaft. I usually use a pair of computer pliers to gently pull the needle off. It is made out of plastic and if you're not careful it will snap off. Use a hair dryer on it and slowly and carefully bend it back straight. Take your time when doing this. It usually takes me a half hour to do this using a hair dryer. Then push the needle back on the shaft, replace the glass and carefully crimp the bezel back on using small needlenose pliers. Take your time doing this. If you try to rush the job in any way you will have a broken speedometer. Done right your needle won't be warped and will show your speed all the way thru the range (0-30 or 0-40 mph depending on what type speedo your bike has)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account