What is a reactance coil on a 103 SP?

Alan Lipkowiski /

So I've been working on the 103 SP project I recently picked up and got a copy of the wiring schematic. On the schematic there is listed a part called the reactance coil that is wired throught the taillight to the ignition. What the hell is this? Should I be naming the ped K-19 now? I found the coil mounted on the ped to and it is mounted to the underside of the luggage rack. It looks like a peice of copper wire wrapped around a hunk of steel like an electromagnet with two wires coming off it. Just curious what this is or does as I can't for the life of me figure out half of what the French were thinking when they built this beastie. And what little is in the manuals doesn't detail what this thing does exactly.

1233042790_peugeot_wiring.jpg

Re: What is a reactance coil on a 103 SP?

It's something that was only put on American-Market Peugeot mopeds. DOT required it.

Have you ever been listening to the radio while your friend is revving a moped? Points ignitions can cause huge radio-wave disturbance. That coil is meant to "react" with the points ignition to cancel out disturbance.

Silly, huh?

If you've been having ignition troubles, there is a lot of documentation on here about the peugeot ignition problem. That reactance coil is not your problem, but you can disconnect the white wire to bypass it if it bothers you.

Basically, replace the coil on your stator with a puch (or any bosch) ignition coil. Then have fun trying to time the bike without a woodruff key.

Alan Lipkowiski /

Well for now I have spark. It's just I never heard of this part before and was curious as to what it's purpose was. Thanks.

Since the power on the bike is AC, a coil will act nearly the same as a resistor in a DC system, taking some of the voltage out of the system. Now instead of just using a resistor which provides the same ohms no matter what frequency the AC of the alternator is giving, the coil provides less resistance at lower frequencies. That means when the bike is making less power, from the stator, more of the power goes to lighting. at higher rpms, when the freqency goes up, the coil starts working as a resistor, keeping the voltage reasonable.

It's a decent way of providing some voltage regulation without resorting to rectification and a ziener diode. Or other sort of voltage regulator.

And because I said the same thing in the general forum just a few hours ago...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/652535/652193/

Sweet : D

A passive low pass filter. In series of course...

exactly. just not being an EE means i couldn't pull the correct term out of my butt ;-)

Also it's where Ciao hides his weed.

Is that something that can be removed completely? And I’ll be installing an electronic ignition and I think I don’t need it. And would that affect my brake lights? Thanks for posting this issue look forward to hearing back soon.

> Miguel Pagan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is that something that can be removed completely? And I’ll be installing

> an electronic ignition and I think I don’t need it. And would that

> affect my brake lights? Thanks for posting this issue look forward to

> hearing back soon.

This is a 10 year old thread . But , maybe you'll be lucky . ;)

kevin Smellaflange /

don't Peugeot have a cam like motobecane's do, to help time it?

I’ve installed a motobecane stock cdi on my Peugeot 103sp, I won’t be using the reactance coil anymore is the black wire going to it coming from the brake light circuit? there’s no information on this and would like to have all of the lights working. Luckily the wiring is still in original condition and hasn’t been hacked on. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Is it a two or one coil resistance coil? If you still have it I'll prolly buy it..

With the install of the Motobecane CDI you will now most certainly have to hack your wiring and change your brakelight switches as you no longer have the power for brakelight option that you had with the stick points set up.

You will now be forced to leach brakelight power from the one power source that the CDI provides. Get ready for the annoying headlight dips when stopping.

re above, if you have the mbk 12v cdi kit going on your Peugeot 103 throw a trailtech ac voltage regulator on there as well and go 12v led lights front lamp and back, just two wires to connect it up, the regulator throws out 13.5 volts a/c , led's will work fine with a/c voltage there is no need to also have a rectifier on there as well, the a/c voltage will then be steady (voltage is adjustable) and even at tick over the headlight is bright and the rear lamp and stop lamnp operating at the same time itrs still bright, its the way forward .

The trailtech regulators are about $15 dollars but well worth it as without it the voltage is too high at max revs (up to 70v ac) and burns out led bulbs.

with this setup I have has my 103 running full led's all round for a year now with no problems or burn outs.

link for spec only and wiring diagram, you may be able to find one cheaper on ebay ect

https://www.trailtech.net/7003-ac01

I don't have any other reactanace coil or regulators fitted just the trailtech and the mbk 12v cdi kit.

running off that I have

horn, headlight, rear tail , rear stop.

hope this helps

simon

u.k

I’m aware that is an old thread, I removed the coil because I’m installing a motobecane stock cdi on it. I have headlight parking light and speedo light but what I don’t have is brake light. I’ve been trying to find what the two black wires do, are they grounds? Are they power? Who knows it seems that no one can give me any information on the subject, it’s absolutely frustrating because I’d like to leave the original wires intact if I could, if I need to modify something, I’d like to make it as neat as possible. Hope someone out there can help, thanks.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account