speedometer not working on pa50

i check both ends and they're both connected properly. any other things that could be wrong? a buddy changed the tire right before it stopped working. could something have broken when he took the wheel off?

Re: speedometer not working on pa50

MIke applewhite /

Here's a pic of my front wheel .It's not a PA 50,but it may help?? Is the tab in the hole?If you hold the cable at both ends at the same time can you feel one end turn the other?If not it may be broken inside.Mine has a spacer between the wheel bearing and the drive.But I think it would make noise if it was left out when it was put back on. On mine if the spacer was left out of the drive, it would get crushed and crack when the axle bolt is tightened

1209140937_100_2091.jpg

MIke applewhite /

The first I ever took my wheel off I thought the spacer was a washer that went next to the nut and almost crushed the drive when I put the wheel back on. Is there only suppsed to be one washer on yours?If there's 2 then maybe he did what I almost did.The darn thing feel off when I took the off and I didn't see how It was put together.

MIke applewhite /

(wheel) sorry I can't type

MIke applewhite /

Jeez I'm having a bad day on the keys.

MIke applewhite /

Mine has NO washer between the fork and the drive.Your wheel my not be on tight if he did something wrong putting it back together.Be careful riding.I hope it's just a broken cable.

Disconnect the speedo cable at the speedometer end.

Have someone hold the rear of the bike down so the front wheel is in the air. Spin the tire (forward of course) and see if the speedo cable is turning at the top end. Grab the cable inner with your fingers to see if it is positively driven.

If the cable inner is turning, reconnect making sure that the cable inner is engaged into the speedo head.

MIke applewhite /

Here's a pic of my old cable inner.It's not from a pa 50 but..

I had to replace it with an after market one for a puch.It fits and works but not exactly as good as the original one.The needle bounce's more than before.It's just not as fun to ride without the speedo is it? :)I wonder what the farmers are spraying today.Yesterday I think was liquid nitrogen.I feel like I just took some codine.WHOOOHOO.Typing is fun!

MIke applewhite /

Woops I forgot the pic.

1209144940_100_2092.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account