General Running Backwards

I just bought a general and it starts right up but runs backwards. The guy I bought it off of says he took it for a test run, ran it a couple miles, and then all of a sudden it started running backwards. He seems to think the gears have shifted in some way but I feel like, with out opening it up, that its probably not the case. Could timing be an issue? Or is it possible the gears are the problem? He mentioned the woodruff key is messed up, stuck or flattened, which led me to the timing. My knowledge is very limited and I am not sure what a woodruff key is. Any advice before I start tearing it apart would be awesome.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: General Running Backwards

If you can get it down to the bike lot on sunday or saturday there will be plenty of help there...

it runs backwards? Does it run _well_ backwards? If so.... haha leave it how it is, thats awesome!

Your timing stator slipped . Possibly the flywheel key is missing or sheared.

yeah its timing dudder, i can get my mobys to run backwards since there is no woodrift keys on them. if u time it at a specific spot the motor will run in reverse everytime u start it.

haha

It runs very well backwards. Its hard to imagine something accidently slipping and ending up like this. I feel like something has to be put in backwards or....I don't know?

It's just timed wrong. Any two-cycle engine will run as well backwards as it does forwards, if the timing is set properly. Most likely you just need to pull the flywheel and put it back on right.

minarellis do that they shear the keyway all the time

i did that the other day my kill switch dont work and the throttle got stuck so i killed it with the start clutch and it sheared the key and knocked the timming off and it would start backwards

i think they used shitty steel for the keys i put a puch one in it and so far so good

adjust the timing

if you're hard, you'll just ride backward at every rally.

Timing probably too far advanced. Combustion forces the piston back down before it reaches TDC, rather than forcing it down after TDC, maybe shoot a quick video of it for you tube then fix your timing before you damage something.

By holding that starting clutch lever to kill the bike. Better look at your starting clutch plate ball, its the first thing you see when removing the clutch cover.

Leon Swarmer /

Some old 2 stroke golfcarts had timing adjustments from the dash. You'd stop the engine, adjust the timng and re-start backwards instead of having a reverse gear.

Leon

I have a Bultaco Sherpa T-350 trials bike that will run backwards if you get everything just right. I mean wrong, however you look at it. Timing is set so close on a trials bike because of the mildnest of the powerband that sometimes they will start backwards.

I have also almost killed it in a section before and it will restart backwards .

Raz

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account