cleaning gas tank

I am going to clean my gas tank with muriatic acid. I have removed the petcock and drained the tank.

What do you recommend to use to plug the the hole where the petcock was while I let the acid sit overnight?

Thanks!

cleaning gas tank

kim jensen /

I just cut the finger off of a rubber glove. Although some leaked and it started to etch my cement sink! Some have suggested a cork, but I think the proper sized rubber stopper from the hardware store would work the best. You don't need to use that strong a solution. I think I only used about a cup per gallon and it worked well. Be sure to seal it (ie. stop the reaction with a phosphoric acid solution afterwards. - CLR, limeaway, even Coke!)

Good luck, hope you don't end up with any pinhole leaks.

KBJ

Re: cleaning gas tank

Fifty2One /

JUST DO NOT USE COKE or you could have the fun of residue of sugar in your fuel... NOT GOOD!

Rather than soaking all night, put in a couple of dimes and give it a good shook around, then fish out the dimes...

then you will have clean dimes also!!!

Fifty2One /

...its called money laundering...

You really do not need to let the muratic acid sit over night. I did a tank last week and when pouring the acid into the tank it started to wash the rust away right before my eyes. In 10 minutes I had a perfectly etched tank & that was with a 1:1 of Muratic acid:water. Make sure you use good gloves the stuff will eat thought shitty ones pretty fast. I used 2 pairs of kitchen gloves and a pair of latex ones for extra protection.

Also you either need to be really good at holding your breath or get a good quality respirator. The second the acid hits the rust you get a lot of smoke from the reaction. Smells horrible and if what it dose to rust is any indication of what it can do to your lungs...

I used an old petcock to plug up the hold on my magnum tank.

You can probably find a cap at the hardware store that will fit if you don't have a petcock.

Also make sure that you have a box of baking powder or some lye around to neutralize the acid, just in case you spill any on your person. Also to neutralize the acid afterwards. Just keep adding the lye untill the stuff stops bubbling. That means that the acid is inert and can be disposed of.

How about a local radiator repair shop?

Ok, I don't know what kind of moped you have, but I just did the tank on my Puch Maxi, and it came out perfect. The petcock was already missing when I bought it, and the Maxi has male threads that stuck out from the tank. I cut about a 2' long piece of hose with an inside diameter the right size to screw fairly tightly over the threads, then put a hose clamp on it. I Then washed out the tank REAL GOOD with a product called Greased Lightening, from Home Depot. Castrol SuperClean is the same stuff. It's really important to get ALL the oily greasy stuff out of the tank, down to bare metal, or the acid won't do anything. It does not react with oil or grease at all. I used a long piece of wire with a wash cloth fastened securely to the end of it, through the filler tube to scrub the inside of the tank. I then stuck the hose in the filler and let it run for about 15 min to get everything out, then took a shop vac hose and stuck in the filler and let it run for another 15 minutes, to dry it out good. I then screwed a bolt in the open end of the hose, and proceeded to fill the tank up SLOWLY with UNDILUTED muriatic acid. Go very slow with this step, as the acid can react violently with the rust. I filled it all the way up, put a piece of plastic over the filler with a rubber band, and let it soak for a full 24 hours. Then I unscrewed the bolt out of the hose, and drained the acid, and flushed the tank real good with water. It looked brand new inside. I used a cap made out of a much shorter piece of hose and a bolt, and immediately filled the tank full of cheap Walmart 4 stroke oil (they sell it in 5 qt. jugs for $5.95) to protect the tank from rust. You can also usually get cheap non detergent oil for $1 a qt. at most dollar stores. The acid actually makes the surface of the metal porus, so some of the oil will soak into it. I put the gas cap back on, let it soak another 24 hours, then drained the oil back into the jug. I took the jug of oil in to work to use in lawn mowers, tractors, etc. The tank is now rust free and oil coated. When I am ready to use it, I will just pour in the premix. The small amount of 4 stroke oil already in there won't hurt anything. It actually took longer to type this than it did to do it. (not counting waiting time, but then I didn't just sit there and wait) Puchs are easy. Some mopeds don't have anything to attach a hose or plug to when you remove the petcock. Jerry.

thanks for all the help

David W. Stanley /

This is NO BS. Three weeks ago I was cleaning my tank with Mur.acid. I caught a few fumes so when I went to my family dr. I told him about it. He deciced to do a chest and throat xray. They found a tumor on my thyroid gland that was malignant. I go for the second biopsy Thursday. The oncologist says it was from being exposed to radiation when I was younger. I think it may be something I was exposed to when I was a military guard in my late teens. Cleaning my moped gas tank saved my life because who knows how long this thing would have grown if I hadn't found it.

lucky they found it - best wishes for a speedy recovery

David W. Stanley /

Thanx a lot. This is spooky,but my time off will give me a lot of time to tinker on my Garelli.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account