garelli carb

My '77 Garelli gets up to 25-30 mph without the carburator airbox. When I attach the airbox it doesn't get past 20mph. The needle adjustment on the dellorto carb does nothing to effect the performance of the carb. I disassembled and cleaned the carb a number of times. Any suggestions?

Re: garelli carb

youre running too rich. your airbox might be clogged, or you have too large a jet in the carburateor.

colin

If I change to a smaller size jet, will it effect the performance?

First of all, 25-30MPH on a stock Garelli moped is good. When you run that thing with the airbox removed, BE CAREFUL. You are making the thing run leaner. You may experience less acceleration from a stop when doing this.

Rejetting to a step smaller might be the good way to go, but you could mod the airbox (take the 2 plugs out first). Monitor the sparkplug after doing this to make sure it's not too lean (light tan or frosty white). You could seize it going on a downgrade...

thanks

I believe I have a 56 jet in my '80 Garelli with the stock filter only no airbox. My exhaust is a custom destricted exhaust made from a puch muffler with my custom baffle at the end of the pipe to give it some back pressure. She'll run 33-35mph on a good day.

Chas

35MPH is good. Garellis with good seals are all capable of this with some carb + exhaust drilling, a jet, timing advance, and a better air filter.

What size jet should I install. I thing there is 50 in there now.

What carb is on the bike now?

Dellorto 14.12. I think the jet is 50.

Keep the airbox off, I see them as useless on all three garellis I have. Upjet to #54, #56, or even #58 to keep the bike from running lean without the airbox. I ran a supersport with a #60 and it still ran about right especially while using a synthetic (no fouled plugs for me thus far). Make sure you keep the metal mesh thing though, it'll keep crazy big objects from getting in the carb as well as restrict the air a little bit.

Great info, thanks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account