full throttle crap out on 79 Puch

General Jackson /

there is a certain limit to how much gas i can give it, then it dies if i don't pull back on the throttle. also doesn't seem to be getting much power, especially on the low end.

should i lower the pin that goes in the jet? i haven't taken the carb off yet to see where it's set, but i thought that maybe it was getting too much gas.

i have no idea why it's hurting on power right now. i read the forum on accelerationto top speed ration, but i don't know how to adjust it for said differences.

thanks!

Re: full throttle crap out on 79 Puch

Timmy Southpark /

couldnt that be a timing issue also?

General Jackson /

maybe. i don't know how to adjust the timing, and i don't wanna mess it up without knowing how to fix it since it's getting me around.

but if you know of any walkthroughs those could help.

When setting a baseline for tuning, even a fully confident tuner will go rich first.

remove the jet and replace the jet with the next larger size. see if that helps any.

General Jackson /

just by riding it more i'm not getting the top end crap out anymore, but still feels a little sluggish. i'll rebuild and clean the carb and see if that fixes it up any

mine does this also- what i have found is that it is doing something called "4 stroking" ? does yours have the air box on it? i think that mine does it because that i have no air filter- gonna get one and check it out- if you get yours to stop doing this let me know-

do not ride a Puch without an air filter.if you do you will be needing at least new piston rings.

i just bought one that does the same thing, its my first puch so im not sure how to work on it. the timing is correct i adjusted that, cleaned the exhaust, and the carb but when i full throttle without fail she dies, likr im running real rich.

four stroking is caused by running rich. you need to down-jet and check your timing. your goal is to get the spark plug cardboard brown.

like this;

would the idle setting help or do we have to downjet? maybe the throttle is messed? it just seems strange to have to change the carb that came with it original or the jet size on what was stock in the first place- seems kinda odd- design flaw???

General Jackson /

i don't know how to adjust the timing, but i've tried everything, raising/lowering the pin that goes into the jet, taking off the exhaust, changed out the coil, changed out the spark plugs. cleaned the carb real well, it worked for a while then did it all on it's own. VERY frustrating.

so i guess, how do i change the timing?

start with the Puch air filter that came with it when it was new. that is more important than you might think. most of the time the carb is good just change the jet as needed.do not change the jet without the air filter. if you have the air filter on it may run right to begin with. did i mention the air filter.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account