1980 honda express II gearbox leak??

Hi, just got my first scooter saturday. It is a 1980 Honda Express II. It runs pretty good and carries me around a parking lot just fine. I really bought it for my wife, I like to tinker with this kind of stuff. Anywho, It hasnt been run in a year or so and I had it up on the kickstand idleing in the driveway for a few minutes and noticed oil leaking from the gearbox cover on the side of the engine that the ratcheting pedal is that you pump to start the engine. It smells like motor oil or somesort. I know it cannot be form the engine since this is running on mixed 25:1 gas and oil. Is there supposed to be oil in the gearbox on these? It appears that the gasket may have gone bad and I need to replace it. Havent had any luck on finding a replacement. Also don't see where one would add oil without having to remove the whole side cover. ANyone have any advice or sources for a gasket? Thanks in advance.

1980 honda express II gearbox leak??

Congrats on the purchase. Are you not using the separate oil and gas tanks and just using pre-mix? 25:1 seems pretty oil-heavy to me. 40:1 max would be more my style or you'll be fouling plugs like crazy.

A local cycle shop might be able to order that gasket or you can try bikebandit.com.

"You can find a manual for your noped by clicking here":http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

If you pull that cover off, be prepared for a couple hours of frustration getting that all back together.

Re: 1980 honda express II gearbox leak??

Bryan is right, there is a lot of stuff in that gearbox.

Did you check to see if the bolt (the gearbox can be filled with oil through a bolt on the side) is tight? Small thing, but might be leaking there.

Hope it isn't the gasket.

Good luck.

Jonas Quimby /

You've got a drain screw on the bottom of the starter side, near the back. If that screw is loose, oil will be leaking past it.

A diagram I made.

There's also the breather tube on the back side of the transmission. The fitting is half way up or so, and a hose fastens to it. The other end of that hose is at the bottom of the transmission, facing the starter side. If the bike has been shaken up a great deal, layed on it's side, or filled with the wrong oil/a mix of oils, oil will drip from that tube.

If that's where the oil is coming from, I suggest you drain the transmission and refill it with the proper oil. DON'T use synthetic oils, as some people have reported clutch slipping with them.

what type of oil should I use to fill the gear box? I will check for tightness of the screws. So there is no way to take it apart without having parts go everywhere? Thanks for the responses.

noted on the mixture. I will try 40 to one.

Jonas Quimby /

The different manuals list different oils. One says straight 30 weight or 20/50, the Honda manual says 10w-40. That's motor oil, not gear oil. You should be fine with any of those so long as you avoid synthetics.

Opening the transmission means a world of pain trying to get it back together.

Jax Your picture inspired me to finally draw this .

Oil loves to leak out the port on the side on the

inside of the wheel well . Even the Honda approved GN4

leaks out . I got tired of cleaning it off my wheels .

This is a picture of the design used for both my NC50s

Brian

1175037744_drainhole.jpg

Opps I forgot to mention that the tank can breath so

air / pressure is allowed to escape .

Brian

Ok, tell me if I am seeing this right. THe fill hole is the bolt that is on the side of the gearbox cover facing the front of the bike right? where is the drain plug?

Jonas Quimby /

The drain plug is one of the screws that holds the white transmission side on. It's near the back, and looks different from the rest.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account