Puch only runs good with choke.

I have a Puch Maxi S 1976 and I just got it running, but theres 2 problems. The first is that it will accelerate for a little while, but then I have to put the choke on for a minute or two then it will go again, so I have to stop every 3 minutes or so, it never stalls, it just wont accelerate.

The second problem is that when I give it throttle, it gets to about half and then it bogs down, but when I have it at half it will still get up to top speed.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Puch only runs good with choke.

did you clean out your main jet well?

Puch only runs good with choke.

That means you're running too lean. Not enough gas is flowing through the carb. Either upjet or restrict the airflow into the airbox somehow (with pantyhose, thin t-shirt, etc.). You might also have to adjust the needle to run more rich.

Why would restricting the airflow give it more gas, and what needle are you talking about? The screw on the carb?

Your main jet may have three notches on it.mine was doing the same thing at one time.try moving the clip to the bottom notch.this allows more fuel flow.also make shure your carb is clean.if your fuel filter is dirty you'll have recurring problems.also the thickness of your air filter controls your air intake.try different materials,foam is best.once you have air and fuel flow try and adjust your carb to a smoother sounding responsive idle.hope this helps.

Alright thanks, I will try all of that and see how it works out.

Technically, it wouldn't give it more gas. It would just increase the ratio of fuel to air flowing through the carb by reducing the amount of air. Upjetting WOULD actually increase the amount of fuel.

Here's more info:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fuel/air_mixture

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

make sure your intake bolts are tight.

Well I cleaned the petcock filter it was pretty dirty, and then it ran good for a little bit then it started to do the same thing again. So I took the air filter off and then it ran good after that, but I still have the throttle problem. I have to 'pump' the throttle (I give it full then none full then none a few times) while I'm riding and every time I pump it, it gets faster and faster until I can just hold it and it will run at normal accelleration. But for a few minutes after I start it I have no problems with it, but after a while I have to do the pumping thing... Any ideas of what it is, maybe transmission fluid?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account