changing frames, urban express

I have a very nice Iowa urban express, just wondreing if every thing on that will fit a regular urban express frame. the Iowa express frame was backed into, and bent in the middle. every thing else on it is perfect, and it runs great. I have a 1980 regular urban express frame, to put every thing on, but would like to know if everything will enterchange.

Re: changing frames, urban express

Leon Swarmer /

Hey Tom B. I've never had an urban to put right beside my expresses, but I bet the answer is NO. The urbah has an entirely different drive system witha variator and belt. I was thinking too that the Urban's had longer wheel bases.

For your sake I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong and then back up that statement.

They are both Urbans, one is an Iowa Urban 2 speed, and the other is an 80 Urban, I wish I could just figure out a way to straighten the frame on the 82, it is a sweet looking bike.

Jonas Quimby /

The Urban Express wasn't made in 1980.

The only difference between the Urban Express and the Urban Express Iowa was one sticker and a slightly restricted engine. The normal Urban will be faster and more powerful. All parts should interchange.

Now if you actually do mean an urban express and a regular express, it can still be done. You just also need to swap out all the electrical bits with 12v versions and do some other creative stuff.

You didn't hear this from me But ........ I've used many a time a firehydrant in front of my house , my AeroStar minivan and a come-along. I straighten/ bend stuff all the time. Bumpers mostly and an occasional motorcycle frame . I'll bet with a couple of chains ............ Also if you have an engine hoist and a load balancer that can be rigged too for bending/curving pipe

gotter done, almost any way, who gives a shit if it is two tone, it's a ride, and it runs. thanks for you advice, Tom

1161118620_garelli_003.jpg

other picture sucked, must of had the shakes.

1161119002_garelli_004.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account