help wiring CDI! (Ducati on a Korado)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

so im finally working on the engine harold sold me

but unfortunately the CDI wiring is all in pieces, and I cant find a diagram. If anyone knows about it,

its a ducati energia 32399510 (that # is on the ignition box, with the spark plug wire dunno if it helps)

red and yellow and green wires everywhere

also harold, if you see this, is there supposed to be a choke slide on the bing? I didnt find one, maybe you can tell me how the choke works (I know its a cable)

Re: help wiring CDI! (Ducati on a Korado)

i stuck the choke slide in the hole where the airbox goes didnt i? look inside. if not i will look around.

contact chris paz from the creatures dude. he wired up his korado engine really well and is always willing to shoot the shit about mopeds.

in fact he will talk your ear off. he was the guy with the yellow M50 at the rally and loaned out his maxi n rigid with the blue rigid swinger forks. thats the bike that has the korado engine.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

alright ill get ahold of him. But yeah im pretty sure I didnt see a choke slide in there. If you put it in I bet it fell out in the back of my truck. whats it look like?

Here is an exploded view of the Bing Carb. The choke Slide is part number 29.

1160869176_bingpuch.jpg

hehe jedi he has a very different carb. it is a sqaure bottom 18mm bing. although it looks a lot like a normal bing choke slide it is just not as wide. i will look around my toolbox for it dude.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I emailed c paz. we will see if he gets back to me. In the meantime Im scrounging my truck bed for the slide. I know you put the spring in (i found it) but I didnt see the slide

I'm working on a Manet Korado right now and having my own problems. My machine is put all together so shoot me an e-mail if you want me to snap some photos for you.

borgbike at yahoo dot com

I looks incredibly basic.

Red wire goes to ground.

There are two wires off of the stator, yellow and green. The green plugs into "verde on the black box. The yellow goes into a voltage regulator. (There are only more yellow wires off of the voltage regulator that much power everthing.)

There is a blue wire plugged into "stop" on the black box. It goes straight and uninterrupted up to the bike's kill switch. So, almost certainly, if you ground the blue wire to kill the engine.

Hope this helps!

dave

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

ugh this is going to be fucking hard

im plopping the engine on a magnum (goddamn the transfer ports are huge on this thing) and i got spark just fine, now I have to just guess how to wire up the rest of the electrical

Hey, I am working on a Korado as well, looking for wiring diagrams...

McCabes, if you can post more pics that would be great, but I have an e50 on mine, is that a ducati you have?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

korados are e50's with ducati CDI

ok....what's a CDI?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

controlled detonation ignition. rather than use points it uses sensors and stuff to provide a more precise,more powerful spark. The only downside up until recently was that it couldnt be used in multiple cylinder engines

Allen Murphy /

WTF?

It stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition--and it's been used on Briggs & Stratton engines, both one and multi-cylinder engines for quite a while now.

Al Murphy

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

yeah i dont know what it stood for, as long as i know what it does and how it does it thats fine with me, dont need to know the acronym

oh i thought it was like computor detonanted ignition.

i guess im gay. i mean im from sf

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

hey

someone help me figure out what the black wires are for

i have a korado engine missing the CDI and the magneto, do i have to get the ducati one or can i use a bosch one from an old e50? also am i going to need a ducati coil?

ummmm....hello?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

try putting a regular bosch stator plate and shit on it, I dunno if itll work but it should

If the korado crank has a woodruff key or slot for it then yeah you could put a regular bosch stator and flywheel.

You would need to get a puch magneto as well since the "ducati" one dose not have the point actuating lobe.

I am only familiar with the wiring on my Korado but if you give me some more info I can probably either work out the correct way things should be wired or a work around.

From my understanding the bike that that engine originally hooked up to had a battery. There should be a small silver box with 2 or 3 hookups on it, it looks like it is filled with gelitan. That converts your engines ac power to dc current to charge the battery. Since the bike had a battery all the lights ran off that. Now that you don;t have a battery you need to jerry rig the wiring so your lights run on ac power.

If you have spark your wiring should be good. The green wire coming out of the engine should go to the verde G port on the Ducati CDI. The red wire should go to ground and the "stop" plug should go to your kill switch. If that wire is grounded your engine will stop.

The yellow wire coming off your engine is the power for your lights. just run that directly to whatever lights you have on the bike ( I run it to only the headlight).

If you have other wires coming off your engine you can just ground them. Some of those wires might be carrying 6v current and later on down the road you could use those as tail/brake light power.

And yes it I get the opportunity I will talk your ear off.

Shoot my a email if you need anything else paz.chris at gmail.com

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

i actually hooked the yellow up to that silver box, and then somehow wired up my brake/tail and headlights to it. still lights up great.

Hello all, I'm new here. Hoping to resurrect this old thread! Some useful information in here already.

I have a Manet Korado I'm trying to revive. It's a puch e50 kick-start engine, and only has 2 wires coming out from the stator. I have put a psr 70cc kit on, along with a biturbo exhaust and a delorrto flat slide carb. It's running really well now. However, I have no other electrics. And I don't really know anything about electrics!

The green wire is attached to the black box on the other end of the spark plug lead, the red wire is earthed. So far I'm with the information above!

I need to work out how to power lights (head, tail, brake and indicators) and the horn. Do all these take power from that single yellow wire wire off the stator?

Also, I thought the little box thing was a voltage regulator rectifier. However, when I tried plugging the head and tail lights they flashed! Is it actually some kind of relay for the indicators?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account