puch side panels

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

SO. I just got a set of puch side panels and I have a small problem -

the right side slides on perfectly but the left one will NOT go on. when I slide the end of it behind the shock (it has a little lip that I put underneath it) the front end sticks out really far and I have to bend it in towards the ped and it causes a LOT of tension....not sure how safe it would be to leave it like that.

Any suggestions aside from just trimming the back end off?

I can take pictures if necessary.

Re: puch side panels

See Ya Moped Army /

Take pics.

Ben Van Zoest /

They should snap together in front, align the last hole to the threaded frame ext. piece closest to the shock aborber, look at my profile pic. It should fit unless they are from incompatable Puchs!

okay, I took some pics. hopefully you can make something out from them..I tried to take multiple angles AND shot of the other side to show how perfectly it fits in.

please note that this is my first puch so I have no idea if everything is as/where/what it should be.

and also....finally having a nice light and a work bench in the garage is amazing. being able to sit right next to my bike and look online at the same time is incredibly handy.

(this is the side that fits)

1160785269_img_0224.jpg

(here is a bare shot of the left side...it doesnt fit on this side unless I force it)

1160785325_img_0226.jpg

here is a shot of the angle it is at behind the shock...

1160785371_img_0230.jpg

and here is another shot of me holding it in where it should just push against the frame....as you can see it doesnt sit flush at all and I would have to bend it to fit it in.

1160785484_img_0231.jpg

See Ya Moped Army /

The problem is that you need the left sidecover that accomodates a rear mounted coil. You need the one with the cut out for the coil. Short of that, you can cut out an opening in the sidecover for the coil.

I think it's your ignition coil. On most 1-speed Puchs, the ignition coil attaches to the front of the engine, on the right side to a bolt just behind the cylinder. Your side covers are for that configuration, so your ignition coil is blocking them from sitting correctly.

The original side covers for bikes like yours have a cut-out for the ignition coil to stick through. So, you could either cut a hole for it, get different side covers, or see if you can attach the ignition coil to the front of the engine.

Did your bike used to have a 2-speed engine?

Yeah, I was thinking it was the coil....I tried to move it down but it wouldnt bolt there.

Anyone have a picture of where they are normally mounted for reference?

And as far as I know this bike didnt have a 2-speed. I just got it last week from Bryan (brystheguy).

If I can't mount it somewhere else I would be fine with cutting a hole. Should be toooo hard, eh?

See Ya Moped Army /

You shouldn't need to cut any holes. The mounting hole for the coil is on the engine case accross from the carb (see pic). You'll either see a hole or a slot in the engine case for the coil mounting bolt. You'll need a different mount for the coil. It's a triangular shaped mount.

1160787358_coil.jpg

ah! okay, cool. now how the heck am I going to find a puch ignition coil mount? hah. any ideas on something that would work similarly?

See Ya Moped Army /

It's part #24 in the attached pic. This is a very common item. Someone near you should have a spare one.

1160789500_puchelectric.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately no one in iowa (that I know of) has any true mopeds let alone any puchs. And I don't know anyone who does really. I will post in the buy/sell forum and see if I can get lucky.

See Ya Moped Army /

Fergy, email me your mailing address and I'll send you one free of charge.

thanks a lot man.

problem solved - thanks to everyone that gave their suggestions!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account