How would I fix my cracked Solex fuel tank?

I have a 3800 with a couple of cracks in the plastic gas tank. No holes, just cracks that won't allow me to put gas in it. Any way to fix this as there are no white replacements available. Not sure if another model would fit or not. I'd be willing to paint it if another one would fit but I'd rather try and fix this one first.

Re: How would I fix my cracked Solex fuel tank?

Hi Bry,

I have not found any glue that will perfectly repair the plastic fuel tanks. The best that I have found so far is 3M Scotch-Grip 4475 Plastic Adhesive, but I am not 100% satisified with the results.

All of the plastic fuel tanks are interchangeable with each other i.e. a plastic tank from a 5000 will fit a 4600 and a 3800.

I have had good success using the black tanks and rotor hoods, usually available from www.velocruz.com, and painting them with Krylon Plastic Fusion spray paint, gloss white. As long as you follow the directions exactly, they come out pretty good. Look at the Solex on my profile page. That white tank was a black tank painted white.

Also, generally the 3800 didn't have a white tank. Are you sure you have a 3800? Any photos? Motor, frame serial numbers? 4600s and 5000s also used the Cyclomoteur 3800 motor if that's what you're going by.

Solexly, Brian

Its a Solex 5000.

Grey

OK, thanks Grey. Yeah, except in Holland, the 5000s had white tanks and rotor covers. The bike on my profile is a folding 5000.

5000 info: http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/5000/5000en.asp

While I was just looking at the tank I remember seeing the engine number and it said 3800 and that's what stuck in my head. It is a 5000. Grey is very familiar with my mopeds from the Moped Army chat room! I can always count on him to back me up. The frame number is 7023193. I just want to start working on this thing and I figured a working fuel tank would be a good place to start. Brian, you have sent me a lot of good info about this already but I'm sure I'll be asking your encyclopedic brain for more assistance in the future. It's good to know that any tank will work. When I paint the tank, I'll paint the other "white" covers too.

Hi Bryan,

It would be my pleasure to help you any way I can with your Solex.

Yeah, the Cyclomoteur 3800 motor was used on the 3800, 4600, 5000 and Micron, as well as on some other models.

By the frame number, I can tell you that it is a 1972 or '73, most likely '73. If you'd like to know the year for sure, let me know the seven digit number stamped into the top, rear of the motor. It will most likely start with 71, possibly 70.

What color is your 5000? The center motor hood should be the same color as the frame.

Solexly, Brian

That number is 7081187. It is one of the orange ones. I hope tohave it running sometime this winter so it willbe ready for next summer. Thanks for the info.

That's a 1972, Bry. Did you buy that one in KS? Is that epod's old bike?

Yep, that's the one. It's not a lemon, is it? lol

No, epod's very cool. I would have bought that one if it was closer to me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account